Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Cookie Time

Well, it looks like it's that time of year again where Girl Scouts come and annoy the crap out of you in order to sell you cookies you don't need. We have a student who sells girl scout cookies. Last year I bought a box from her and she told me when she was in here buying her books that she would be back at cookie time. Sure enough she came back and I bought a box of cookies from her. I'm a nice guy, she has neat checks with super hero's on them (and yeah, she's good looking) so I bought a box. This was two or three days ago. Today, a very loud girl and her very annoying mother come in with a cookie form. The girl screams "DID YOU WANNA BUY COOKIES!!!!!!" Okay, she's excited about that, I can deal with that. So I said I was sorry I'd already bought some from a student, but I offered her a little debbie that we have on the counter (we have lots of them, it was our give-away this semster). Her mother puts her hands on her hips and says "What in the hell do you mean you bought some already? From who???" So I told her it was a student that buys from me. She responds with a very annoyed "What kinda student sells Girl Scout cookies?" I honestly don't know, it could be that she's a leader, or that her daughter sells them. I don't know, I don't care. She buys books, I buy cookies, that's the extent of our relationship. This woman had until recently been standing at the door, now leans on my counter and looks at me over her glasses to say "I betcha she ain't no girl scout. I betcha she's just sellin 'em for somebody else. Just how many boxes did you buy and why'd you buy 'em from her?" Her answer was just a stare. How many boxes I buy or why I buy anything is inconsequential to someone who I don't know and has overstayed their welcome in the store. In the mean time her daughter (who I guess is hopped up on sugar because she's bouncing off the walls) screams "WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO SELL COOKIES IF YOU WON'T BUY ANY!?!?!?" It has been slow today, but I've been busy with buybacks and returns like crazy. To me, this is nuts. This conversation should have ended at "I'm sorry I've bought some already." So the lady, obviously helping her daughter be a good girl scout says "Honey let's go. He ain't buyin nuthin. He dun bought 'em from somebody who ain't even a girl scout." Then she looks back and me and says "It ain't right that you dun that. It ain't right that she's dun that neither." The kid had gotten bored and run outside...probably to play in traffic...the rest of the conversation went like this...

Me: "Lady, she comes in here and buys books, and asks if I want cookies. There is no right or wrong here."
Role Model Mom: "You ain't supposed to buy 'em from just anybody."
Suave Bookstore Owner: "I work for myself. I don't have to do a damn thing anybody but me wants to do. If you don't like it, get the hell out of my store."
Mom of the year: (confused) "I think you're bein rude to us."
Tyler Derdon: "This conversation is over."

With that she left. Honestly, that's five minutes of my life I'll never see again. All for cookies I don't need. Thanks lady, now you made me blog about what a rude bitch you were. I hate you.

9 Comments:

I think you need to pitch some kind of reality show to the networks with all that goes on at the shop. And include habib in there. You'd have a hit!

So what kind of cookies did you get? My favorites are the carmel one's.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 9:03 AM  
Tagalongs. I love chocolate and peanut butter. It rules.

A reality show might even draw people in so that could have a positive impact on sales. That would be nice.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 11:26 AM  
Oh oh...someone's in trouble!! Jen the hair looks nice by the way!
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 1:56 PM  
She sounds like a homeschool mom. Girl Scouts is just something I could never for the life of me understand. Though, it would have been nice to have as many Samoas as I wanted...mmm.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 4:45 PM  
I buy a box of each. Sometimes two or three. I made Greg drive to Memphis last year so I could stake out Girl Scouts. No one asks me to buy cookies anymore.

But techinically, no one is supposed to be selling but the girls. It's not your fault if you do, it's hers for selling. The girls are supposed to sell themselves so that they can go to camp.

That came out wrong. But you get my drift.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 8:35 PM  
Sell themselves? What kind of girl scout troop were you in? Well, not only did this girl buy a bunch of books from me, she has really cool Justice League of America checks with Flash, The Green Lantern, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman on them. She's cool on many levels...and she's delivering cookies to my door.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 11:43 PM  
I made a crack about girl scouts on my blog once. My God, you'd think I'd burned the American flag for the hell I caught over it! Actually, if I HAD burned the American flag I think I would have gotten hassled less.
posted by Blogger Memphis at 2:49 PM  
that was suppossed to say the girls are supposed to sell the cookies themselves.

You know better than that. And Im not that much of a slutwhore.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 8:50 PM  
Steve - I'm amazed I haven't caught more. This girl and her mom were annoying...it was bad. I'm sure if anyone had been there with me, they would agree.

Hooters - I never said you were a slutwhore, you opened the door I simply walked through it.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 12:23 AM