Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Hard Core Racist

We all have our prejudices and our stereotypes, but this guy cracked me up this morning. I got here a little late because I overslept...and because I can. Anyway, a very beat up rusted out Suburban was sitting in the parking lot when I got here and he gave me a funny look when I walked in. The guy was very much a blue collar worker. I think he even had on coveralls, and was dirty from head to toe with scars from likely tons of bar fights he'd been in. He had burns on his hands because he was a welder, but some of them were pretty bad. I get the feeling this guy welds with no gloves or helmets. You get the idea. He comes in and asks about these books that we don't have, then he shows me a print out he has from Amazon. I didn't have them, and I couldn't order them for the Amazon price. He asked if I'd just go ahead and order them for him and he'd pay me, so I rang it up on his credit card and ordered his books while he was standing here. He turned to leave and he stopped and came back to the counter. Then he said "I want you to know...and don't take no offense to this ya hear? I've always known about this place, but I ain't never done no business here because I thought it was owned by them ragheads next door." I laughed out loud...I thought that was hilarious. "Uh, I ain't meanin to make you mad by thinkin you's a raghead, and it's fine with me if the ragheads did own this place. I just don't do business with no ragheads cause I ain't never met one that I liked." I wasn't sure what to say, but I assured him that Habib next door did not own any piece of the store, nor did he work here. He said as long as that remained the case he'd do business with me any time he had business that involved books. I told him we welcomed hard core racists so we'd love to have him any time he had a need for books. I wonder if he'd thought for a second what would have happened if I was working for Habib? Somehow I imagine he never took that in to consideration.

12 Comments:

I think I'm addicted to your blog.
posted by Blogger bobbye at 11:38 AM  
In that case I think I'm glad to have you read it.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 1:05 PM  
What an odd thing to say. I wonder where he gets gas? Or maybe he just doesn't realize who owns most of the gas stations around here?
posted by Blogger Memphis at 2:46 PM  
WOW...how old was this guy? I can't imagine anyone saying such a thing, but I guess it happens.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 3:11 PM  
out of sheer morbid curiousity what books was he wanting to order?
posted by Blogger bobbye at 3:50 PM  
Steve - I guess he doesn't. Maybe he only buys gas from mom and pop stations where it's like $3 a gallon. Who Knows

Christian - he said he had a 12 and 14 year old daughter, but informed me that with enough lipstick they were able to buy beer. He was probably mid 40's I would say.

Elle - Would you believe they were books on welding? He's taking that class in school because he's going to be someone some day. His words.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 4:43 PM  
"But with enough lipstick they were able to buy beer"

priceless.
posted by Blogger bobbye at 5:18 PM  
"Everyone's a little bit racist."

Unfortunately where you work its very prevelant. The Klan still marches through there.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 8:47 PM  
Elle - yeah, sad that his 12 and 14 year old daughters that he's so proud of have the bragging point of "enough lipstick and they can buy beer." I would call bullshit but I bet he's tried it before.

Hooters - I wouldn't say they march but they are still pretty active. We get a few racists in the store, this guy was just the funniest.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 12:02 AM  
Pretty sure they trek through there once they're through with Ringgold. I'll have to ask my ex-boss, the Grand Wizard.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 12:31 PM  
Something tells me that if he's willing to do business with you everytime he needs books you still won't be seeing this guy too often.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 5:50 PM  
"I don't wanna hear sandnigga or cameljockey outta this rednecks mouth anymore."
"Why not?"
"The point is Conrad, that Raghead's a perfectly acceptable term."
-Ice Cube (Three Kings)

Mike
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 9:22 PM