Monday, April 09, 2007

Monday Movie Reviews

I know it's been a while since I've done this one, but I did get to watch a couple of movies this week so I'm a happy guy.

The Reaping - Who doesn't like a movie about biblical plagues? If you think about how many crappy movies there are out there, I can't imagine why more people haven't consulted the Bible for some good stories. Some of those I envisioned as a child were all really good stories, and could make really good screen adaptations. I know not all of them would sell tickets, but they're all good stories. Anyway, the Reaping is a story about a small town in Louisiana that calls on Hillary Swank from LSU. I actually did boo LSU when someone in the theater said Go Tigers. Anyway... This small town that tries to keep itself out of the lime light wants to keep this as quiet as possible. Enter Hillary Swank. An ordained minister that no longer believes in God because she lost her family on a mission trip to Africa or somewhere else. So her job is basically disproving what all these people think are miracles of the Lord. Enter the small town of Haven who have waters that have all turned red and undrinkable. They think it's biblical plagues, Swank thinks it's something else so she spends the movie trying to find a scientific explanation for all of them. The way they do it is pretty cool, and if it happened present day I can say that I'd see it that way. The director also liked Hillary Swanks fine ass as much as I did because there were a ton of close-ups, leg shots, you name it. I have to say she's pretty hot in this one. Her divorce must have done her some good because she seems to be at the height of her game. Good for her, I'm sure it's a long time coming. If you're in to biblical plagues, the wrath of God, and Hillary Swank in her hottest form this movie is for you. I liked it right up until the last 30 seconds or so. They tried to leave it wide open for a sequel but I think they could have done it a lot different and still made that happen. I had already envisioned what should happen and they screwed it up. Maybe that's why I didn't like it. Who knows? Either way, two thumbs up on this one.

The Moonlight Mile - Suprisingly this could be classified as a chic flic, and I like it. It stars Jake Gyllenhaal (who I'm still mad about over brokeback mountain) and Ellen Pompeo. I'll watch just about anything she's in...because she's hot. Want proof?



I rest my case. Anyway. The movie is about Jake G. and his fiances family. His fiance died three days before the movie takes place so it opens with her funeral. Jake is living with his would-be inlaws and is supposed to go in to business with his father-in-law. The wedding invitations were set to go out so he has to go to the post office to get them. Enter Ellen Pompeo. The hot single girl at the post office that owns the local bar. Did I mention she was hot? Anyway, the movie is about both of their struggles and him living with his dead girlfriends family. I can't say a lot without telling you what happens, or outlining the movie in a five page blog. It's hard enough to get people to read these days without boring them to sleep. To be a movie that is as depressing as this one sounds, and to have this many big names in it (Susan Sarandon, Dustin Hoffman, and Dabney Coleman also star) we'd never heard of it. My hot wife rented it because it had her girl from Grey's Anatomy in it. I realistically only watched it for that reason, but enjoyed it. It's a good movie for when you're sitting at home in the cold and don't feel like a comedy but don't feel like being depressed but some stupid Hugh Grant movie that eats away at your soul.

That's it for Monday. I hope everyone else had a Happy Easter, and a good weekend.

2 Comments:

I must see TheMoonlightMile now. I hadn't even heard of it.

Since your such a movie watcher, have you seen Little Miss Sunshine? I really want to see it, but I'm scared b/c it looks like it could be either really good or really bad. The critics loved it, so that usually means I won't.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 12:51 AM  
It was good, and based on a true story. The guy that wrote and directed it wrote it for his girlfriend. I don't know how much is true, but makes it a little better story I suppose. Either way, I think you'd enjoy it.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 9:19 AM