Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Update at Habibs

I don't know how many of your remember, but we have a convenience store next door to my store at work. It's not bad, if I get the munchies I can go next door and pick up a bag of chips or something. I'm trying to cut back on that as neither Rambo nor Spartan Warriors ate bags of chips or snickers bars. Anyway, so there have been a few different managers next door since Habib went to prison. If no one remembers, two FBI agents came in to his store, grabbed all the cold medicine they could get their hands on and said "We're going to take this back to our house and make meth with it. Is that okay with you?" He laughed, and in his very thick Habib accent said "as long as you do not get me in trouble, I do not care what you do with it." He was immediately taken out in handcuffs, later prosecuted, then sent to jail for an undecided term. At any rate, this is manager number three here at the store. Plenty of stories about the last two, but those are for another day. We will still refer to the new manager as Habib...mostly because it fits the stereotype.

So I was over there a week or two ago to apologize that we had a truck block his parking lot while we were unloading. He didn't mind and he asked to talk to me a minute. Since I had people in the store, I didn't mind at all. He heard a rumor from a college professor that we were going out of business and that's why the truck was here. I wasn't really surprised as we have a lot of opposition from the campus folk that think off campus independently run businesses should never exist anywhere...ever. So I talked to him for a few minutes and he told me that he worked six days a week and this job was so much better than his old job that was full of empty promises. I asked if he had an assistant because I never saw anybody there but he said he works from 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Monday to Saturday. I thought about that for a second. Some days when it's busy here I think work sucks because I don't get to see my wife as often as I want, and I feel like I'm neglecting poor Tumbler. But I have a pretty good quality of life for the most part. No real complaints here. This guy has to be nuts. I can't imagine working that many hours for someone else. I can't even blog all the obscenities that I would use for someone if they told me I'd be working 93 hours a week. So it gets better. I went over just now because obviously I need more chips, and he said he'd asked for some time off. I can't imagine anyone that needs more time off than this guy. He seemed a lot worn out, as anyone would in his position. He shook his head and said "Man, they tell me for the next four weeks I'm going to have to work Sundays. Sundays are my only day off and now for four weeks I have to work them. Can you believe this?" This store can't do more a year in sales than we do. I just don't see it. And now they're asking him for the next month to put in 15 and a half more hours per week. Fuck yourself comes to mind. Hire an assistant you cheapskates.

Anyway, I got to thinking about the breaking point and what would ruin what I consider quality of life and that is pretty much it for me. I think when I get to the point that I want to slit my wrists more than I want to come to work, it's time for a change. How about you?

5 Comments:

I'm guessing he's not paid hourly, lol.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 5:52 PM  
Wow...that is unbelievable. And I thought I had problems at the last place I worked for. They really do need to hire another person because that is asking way too much of one individual.
posted by Blogger Cheyenne at 12:54 AM  
Chas - I would hope he is, but I'm guessing not.

Cheyenne - anytime I think I'm having a rough day I just have to go see him. He's not a complainer, but just knowing that for 15 hours a day he sits in a convenience store by himself is enough to do it for me.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 7:19 AM  
That's horrible...I wonder if there's some law against what's going on there. If it were me I'd be checking into it for the guy...but that's just me!
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 10:29 AM  
I think once you're over the age of 18 labor laws don't really apply. He might also be related to them, so I don't know. For the most part he seems to like his job, but he is for sure getting worked to death.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 3:13 PM