Friday, July 23, 2004

At what age do your parents lose their minds?

So, my sister is buying a car today.  If you've been following along, a jackleg hit my sister and then decided to pay for it out of pocket rather than through his insurance.  Sure, this may sound stupid.  What is really bad is that he was on his way to pick up a car from the body shop that he had wrecked the week before.  He really shouldn't be allowed to drive anymore.  I've had my share of wrecks, I was nicknamed Crash for a while (which I always thought was pretty cool), had a friend that for a while even called me Evil P (because Evil Caneval was already taken), but I usually spaced mine out - didn't have them all in a span of two weeks.

Anyway, she's going to pick up her new car today at lunch.  Both my sister and I live out of our parents house, but we see them all the time because we live in the same town.  I had lunch with my dad last week and he pretended he had no idea that my sister was buying a car.  My sister bought a house a little over two years ago now, and does very well for herself.  I always thought she would.  Her house payment, plus a car payment should amount to very little of her yearly income.  My mother is now worried that she's going to default on everything because it costs too much money.  My dad now pretends that he doesn't know anything about her buying a car.  So here we are at lunch, I'd taken my sister car shopping the day before, and he says "I think your sister is gonna just go buy a new car rather than fix hers."  Let's keep in mind here, I told him I was taking her car shopping the day before.  I'm pretty sure my sister can pay cash for a new car if she wants to so money isn't a problem.  She was going to get a new car by the fall so this just speeds things along - courtesy of a driver that keeps his head in his ass (do you think they have a special seat for that?  I wonder how he shifts?). 

So the real reason for the post this morning is - when you come of age, do you then realize your parents are nuts and that they always have been?  Or is it that when you move out and start making your own decisions it drives them crazy.  I've known my whole life that my grandparents were crazy.  Am I going to be crazy when I turn 50?  If I am, I assure I'm going to make the most of it.  I'm going to order stuff online and send incoherent e-mails to salesmen, then call and pretend I'm deaf, or Canadian.  Boy, am I going to have some fun in my older years.  I may even run for President.  John Kerry might approve, but he might be against it as well.  Too many flip flops and crazy people on one party can't be good for the economy.

5 Comments:

I think that the lack of power over your life slowly drives them over the edge. Then they have nothing else to do, so why not annoy people? They probably don't even lose their hearing or vision at all. They just pretend to, so they drive all the rest of the world insane, trying to scream a conversation to them over the phone, etc. Then they all get together on Bingo night, where they don't really play bingo, they just laugh at all the poor people they annoyed throughout the week. A perfect hiding spot, as who under 60 would want to go spend a Friday night playing bingo? With old deaf and blind people! Its a conspiracy! And I'll just bet John Kerry is somehow envolved! Damn senior citizens!

xoxo
posted by Blogger Good Wife at 11:52 AM  
I would imagine John Kerry is not involved, but he's not uninvolved either.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 12:36 PM  
I did not have sexually relations with that woman. Oh wait. Wrong guy. I think.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 3:03 PM  
I threw my medals over the fence onto the whitehouse lawn....

I said I threw my ribbons on the whitehouse lawn, not my medals. I'm a great war hero, I had to keep my medals. I have three purple hearts - and that third scratch I got on my toe really hurt!
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 4:18 PM  
My grandparents are kind of like that, they worry about stuff that doesn't really have anything to do with them and they never know the real story. Thankfully, my parents don't get involved in things like that.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 6:38 PM