Friday, November 26, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

So, as usual I ate too much yesterday and was overly stuffed. Being married and having two sets of parents to visit is hard sometimes because we've got my parents who do thanksgiving breakfast (steak and eggs) and Jennifer parents who do a traditional thanksgiving dinner. Needless to say, I don't save room for dessert because I don't have a choice. I can put away a lot of food, but it seems like I'm getting old and I'm eating sensibly now. I'm not sure what that's about but it sucks.

Anyway, Thanksgiving reminds me of another good Jeff story that we were talking about on their last visit to town. We went to a Christian High School so we did service projects for local organizations like the Food Bank, and the Community Kitchen. For some reason our group always chose "The Kitchen" as we referred to it. It was around this time of year we were sent down to organize their food cabinet. Let me tell you first off, this was the biggest mound of canned goods we had ever seen. It was more unorganized than the DVD section of Wal-Mart, and more hectic than mall traffic at 5 a.m. So, with our large group always going about things the unorthodox way, we decided that two of us would throw cans to people stationed around the room and we'd get done really quick. Well, Jeff and I elected to throw rather than stock so we'd yell whatever it was we picked up and throw it to the person that had those. We had a really great pace going (I did metion we were hurling canned goods across the room didn't I?) and I reach down for something on the ground and hear Jeff yell "CHILI HOT BEANS! COMIN DOWN!" No mix of words I can come up with will best describe what happens next. He reaches back in a way that would make Peyton Manning envious and fires these Chili Hot beans across the room, only problem being they hit the overhead light (in his defense it was hanging low) in the room and busted it in to a thousand pieces. While most of us were laughing as hard as we could, Jeff panicked and decided to trip the main breaker so they'd think we had a power outage. Our "supervisor" of the day was a homeless guy that didn't say much, and didn't seem to like people. So he comes back to see what's going on, most of the room in stitches laughing so hard with the Chili Hot beans still sitting on the floor, and says "Whatch'all be doin up in here?" So Jeff explained that the power went out and when it came back on it busted the light. He seemed to believe us, but the rest of us were still laughing pretty hard. I guess that was our contribution to The Kitchen for the holidays. Good times I tell you.

Well, I hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving. It's forty-something days to go until the Jeff and Mary visit and I am excited about watching College Football with Jeff on New Years Day. Have I mentioned that we're pumped about going down there?

3 Comments:

that story about "the kitchen" was just wrong. but that didn't stop me from laughing at it.
posted by Blogger anya at 3:03 PM  
I can't imagine why anyone would be excited about going to Florida... really. ;-)
posted by Blogger Jenn at 3:43 PM  
There are so many kitchen stories we have, it isn't even funny. One day I'll break out the one about the lesbian photographers that took pictures of us doing service work. That's funny.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 12:50 PM