Monday, June 20, 2005

Movie Review: Batman Begins

Okay, so I haven't had much time to watch a movie with being out of town for a month, but this is the first movie I've seen since Episode III. For me, that's a long time. Anyway, I coaxed the wife into going to see the new Batman movie with Christian Bale. I was severely disappointed in the last two Batman movies with Clooney and Kilmer. I like Clooney and Kilmer very well as actors, but neither one of them was Batman. Michael Keaton was a good Batman, but I don't think he had the script to work with that Christian Bale did. This puts any other Batman movie to shame, and I'd be willing to bet that it is the comic book movie of the summer. I don't want to doubt Fantastic Four, but it will be hard pressed to beat this movie.

A quick rundown for those that haven't followed it. This is supposed to be how Batman became Batman. It starts with his parents getting murdered just as in the comic book, but this movie goes pretty deep in to how he becomes the caped Crusader. It's cool how he gets all of his gadgets, the car, and how he gets trained. It was about two and a half hours long, but it flowed so well that there was never any downtime so you didn't even notice. The only thing I would have changed is the guy that plays the Scarecrow. The guy they had was good, but I'd heard that Marilyn Manson was up for the role and had a scheduling conflict. I think this would have been the perfect role for Marilyn Manson if he wanted to start a career as a bad guy. It's good from start to finish and it's one I know I'll be purchasing the day it comes out on DVD. Overall, I give it five out of five stars. Well worth the price of admission, and well worth the money. If you like comic book movies, you need to see this movie. It's good all the way to the end, and they left it wide open for a second one so I'd look for this to take off like the Spider-man movies did. Hopefully it won't follow the path of the first series of Batman movies, but no one will leave this movie disappointed.

19 Comments:

Oh YEAH...I'm excited about this one, but still trying to wait for the rental.
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 9:43 AM  
I would have to say don't wait for the rental. This one is too good to miss in the theaters. It's not like it's Closer or something so you guys should go see it.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 10:32 AM  
Hummm...another movie to see. I think I'm going to have to get a 2nd job to see all the movies this summer.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 5:01 PM  
THe first time he says "Im Batman" I swoon. Not girlie lovesick swoon, but this guy is a badass swoon.

The only thing that bugged me. Didn't the Joker kill his parents as per Michael Keaton movie?
posted by Blogger Jenn at 12:26 AM  
I knew it was going to be great as soon as I found out David Goyer was going to be writing it. That was long before the first preview was out.
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 1:14 AM  
The joker did kill his parents in the michael keaton movie, but I think someone told me this movie is closer to the comic books than the other movie. Even the Liam Neeson role was supposedly in it. I'm not a hard core comic book guy, but this movie is a completely different animal. It's totally unrelated, and after the last two that is a very good thing.

What other movies has David Goyer written Interblogger?
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 6:29 AM  
I thought I recognized Goyer's name. He did the last couple of Blades (some of my favorites..). If it's the right guy I'm thinking of, he's a freak as well. Tattoo's all over the place!

David Goyer works
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 12:55 PM  
Ahh, the blade movies. I love those movies. Blade Trinity is awesome. I didn't care much for the second one, but the third one more than made up for it. Freak or no, he does write some good movies.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 1:59 PM  
Trinity is next on Netflix.

And I have to defend Cillian Murphy. 28 days was GREAT (although could have done without the fullfrontal shot) and while he may look pretty, he's creepy as all get out! LOVE HIM. Love everything about that movie. Exect Katie Holmes. But I've already gone on and on about that.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 6:49 PM  
We own all Blade movies. 2nd one wasn't that good, but the 3rd one was awesome. Ryan Reynolds makes the hole movie in my opinion! Now if only I could get the ripped. Oh and the chick isn't bad to look at either! :) Make sure you watch the extras on the DVD. :)
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 12:06 PM  
Ooh...haven't watched the extra's yet but I'm a Jessica Biel fan so I watch most of her stuff anyway. Ryan Reynolds was awesome and I heard rumor that he was making a new series of movies called Night Stalker. That would be cool to see.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 12:26 PM  
He's also marrying Alanis. He's awesome.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 4:10 PM  
Does that make Tom Cruise awesome because he's marrying Katie Holmes?
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 4:27 PM  
Nope my Tom infatuation is over. He's moved over to freak status. As is MJ freak status. All this Scientology stuff isn't kosher with me. Not because it's not my belief, but because he's a pusher. Ask Charlotte Johanson.

It also makes her weird. Come on, a guy SIXTEEN years older? She can change his diapers...if the marriage lasts that long.

I used to not be a Nicole Kidman fan. Now I KNOW she's destined for sainthood. ;-)

And poor Chris Klein. You buy a 500k engagement ring, wait five years (And she still hasn't put out because she's supposedly a virgin) and then you get dumped for short impotent guy who can afford Versace and Prada and she gives it up to him. Yeah Chris Klein. Poor guy.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 10:26 AM  
PS. Ryan Reynolds ROCKS. If Katie Holmes married RR I might like her. Maybe. ;-)
posted by Blogger Jenn at 10:27 AM  
Night stalker...spin off from Blade? That would be good. I'll have to keep my ears open for that.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 2:20 PM  
Yeah, the night stalker movies should be cool. Hopefully they'll make those, but if not I'm sure Blade Trinity won't get old.

Hooters, you have issues. Just because Katie Holmes is my age and Tom Cruise is old enough to be my Dad...well, okay. It's a little weird. I think she can do better but she's still pretty attractive. Yes, I do think it's a publicity stunt with the two of them, but thats their business not mine.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 3:31 PM  
Ok. I call truce. You're allowed to think she's hot. I don't have to.

Peace!
posted by Blogger Jenn at 5:56 PM  
Peace, love, and HOOTERS HOOTERS HOOTERS!
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 10:34 PM