Monday, November 14, 2005

A weekend at the movies

While we had probably one of our most productive weekends since we've lived in our house, we did manage to see a couple of movies this weekend. Friday night was dinner with my parents. My mom made Chili. I do love some Chili. Afterwards we went to see A History of Violence with our friend John. It was good except for the ending. I thought it was a little slow, drug on a bit, but it wasn't bad. I really hated the ending. If anyone else has watched this, let me ask you - wouldn't it have done something for you if someone had just said "Mashed Potatoes Dad?" Just ANYTHNING! Seriously, it just ended. I probably would have been happy with a smile, wink, or even a frickin head nod. Oh well. It was good, but I probably won't watch it again or buy it. Saturday night we went and saw DeRailed with Jennifer Anniston and Clive Owen. I can't think of a guy on the planet that isn't a Jennifer Anniston fan, and she was hot in this movie. Clive Owen is slowly but surely proving he can be the next James Bond. The movie is good...really good. Fair warning, it's very intense, and very graphic. There is a scene at the beginning that I thought all four of us (we went with some friends) were going to just throw up. Not because it was gory, but it was just very graphic and intense. After the movie ended, it made more sense. I thought originally they could have left that out, but I don't think looking back on it the movie would have made you feel the way it did without it. I would talk about it more indepth but I don't think I can without giving away the movie. It was good. Another movie I'll probably not buy, but I'm glad I saw it. If you like suspense thrillers that can tie your stomach in knots, but make you stand up and cheer at the end, this movie is for you. At one point during the movie some guy randomly started yelling at the screen about what was going on. His commentary was pretty damn stupid and insanely not needed. I know what you're thinking "What did you say?" Yeah. This guy really said whatever it was loud enough for everyone to hear so I just said "Wow! Thank you for that man!" The people around us started laughing and he sunk down in his seat. He didn't say anything to us after the movie, nor did he feel the need to comment anymore. Be warned, if you see this movie it really will make you sick but you will leave the theater satisfied with how the movie played out. I would say wait until a matinee or a cheap theater, or maybe even a rental. As good as this movie is, it's really a one time only film. The second time, while you might pick up on some details I think it would be odd because you already know all the twists and turns it takes. Just my take on it.

Outside of that, we did some major house cleaning this weekend. We had some stuff that's been waiting around to go to a decent charity and it finally went yesterday. With all the cleaning we did, we've still got quite a few more boxes that can go so hopefully we'll get those out of the way and start on the garage this week. Currently, the closet and all clothing containers are well organized and in much better shape than they were. I hope everyone else had a good weekend, and thanks to everyone for making me realize my cousin is nuts and I'm not behind the times.

13 Comments:

Clive Owen isn't the next James Bond. It's Daniel Craig. He was in a movie called Layer Cake. Might be ok as a younger Bond. Clive Owen was great in Sin City though. Dwight was one of my favorite characters.

Mike
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 6:11 PM  
Daniel Craig is NOT hot. It could have been ANYONE for James Bond. Jim Carrey even, and I would have been ok. This guy is just NOT. He's not suave, he's not attractive, he looks like the bad guy, not the bad ass.

Bad call on their part.

Not an Anniston fan at all. I'll pass.

Make Jen come here so I can take her to Pride and Prejudice. Now THERE's a hot brit...
posted by Blogger Jenn at 7:40 PM  
PS Dwight was bad ass. But WHO would choose Rosario Dawson over Brittany Murphy?? He needs his eyes checked.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 7:41 PM  
I'll go with Hooters on this one. Brittany Murphy is way hotter than Rosario Dawson.

As far as Pride and Prejudice goes, Keira Knightley is a hot brit, but I think I'd rather see her in Domino. That looks like a much better movie.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 7:54 AM  
History of Violence...yeah it would have been better if they would have said something to end it. Very slow as you pointed out. What did you think about the scene on the stairways? Was that just to get rid of him? That's what I thought it was about?

You've got me interested in Derailed now. Might have to see that one at some point.

Murphy can be hot but I'm sorry...she looks like a total tramp most of them time (refering to her every where...not just in that movie). There were a couple of times where she was dressed up that I thought she was hot.

As for Keira Knightly...HOT as well but needs to put some meat on her bones....In my opinion. Heard Domino wasn't that good, but still want to see it.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 9:41 AM  
oh yeah...forgot to mention. Got my Harry Potter tickets for this weekend already. 3pm on Saturday. :) Can't wait to see it. You guys going this weekend?
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 9:42 AM  
Supposedly it is coming to the IMAX theater here. It's pretty unlikely because our IMAX theater sucks. They don't bring movies that draw in money, just the educational ones. Somehow the Nascar movie fit in to their educational column. They suck. I think we'll go see it at some point this weekend. If there were a midnight show on Thursday I might do that. Matinee on Saturday looks like it is out. The plan is to see it this weekend though.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 11:45 AM  
They were advertising Potter on IMAX so I called. They aren't going to do it right away, but I think they will do it in January or perhaps later in December. if it's here when/if you guys drive through you'll have to stop. Our IMAX is fricking awesome. Saw Potter 3 and Batman begins on it. Will so many more there as well.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 3:42 PM  
Now that we might just have to make time for. The IMAX itself is fine, I guess it's the people that run it that suck. They need a good swift kick to the groin.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 4:20 PM  
Damn people. All this arguing about Rosario Dawson and Brittney Murphy. He didn't choose one over the other. He had both. Now THAT is a smart man.
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 8:10 PM  
He had both, but it looked like he was back together with bad hair chick.

And yeah, Murphy can whore it out with the best of them, but I'll take her over Tara Reid and Cameron Diaz anyday!!

But to the original point. Clive Owen WAS badass in Sin City. I love that movie.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 10:48 AM  
Sin City was good. "I need a car, with a big trunk, and a big engine." Clive Owen rocked, he should really be James Bond.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 1:55 PM  
Anyone but Daniel Craig.

Patrick YOU should have been Bond. But you'd have to give me the watch.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 10:21 AM