Monday, January 30, 2006

Movie Reviews

Another weekend at home and another pair of movies courtesy of Netflix. Have I mentioned how cool this service is? Yeah, movies in my mailbox (when the post office decides to deliver them on time) with a list of ones I want to see so I'm always reminded of it. That's pretty cool. Anyway, two movies this weekend, one fair, one pretty good.

Mulholland Falls - Stars Nick Nolte, Melanie Griffith, and Jennifer Connelly. I thought this one would be more like LA Confidential, but it wasn't. LA Confidential was much better...so that reminds me I need to watch that again soon. The only real advantage to this movie is that you get to see Jennifer Connelly without a shirt on, but she's not a major player in the movie. It's set in the 50's and four cops are the main focus. It's about their squad attempting to uncover the murder of Connelly's character and they trace it all the way back to the military. It's supposed to be a thriller that takes you on twists and turns, but it's pretty easy to figure out. I think everyone in it has done better movies, but I think Connelly can pull off the 50's beauty queen look very well. Not a bad movie, but not one we'll watch again and again. Or probably ever again.


Lord of War - Stars Nicholas Cage, Bridgette Moynahan, and Ethan Hawke. It's about an illegal arms dealer named Uri Orlov who, like anyone in the business of running things illegal gets in it for the money and is good at it. Moynahan plays the love interest, and Hawke plays the nazi police officer that is after him the entire movie. The movie shows him go from a small time guy trying to make a living to one of the worlds largest black market gun runners. The soundtrack is good enough that we might buy it, and the movie will make you laugh, but it has it's sad moments. I liked it as did the hot wife so I would recommend you see it unless you really don't like Nicholas Cage. Even if you don't, the movie is good. It's gory and graphic at points, and it makes the illegal gun runners job seem somewhat glorius and probably not near as not-so-glorious as it really is. The movie says it's based on real events so I don't know how much is true and how much of it is propaganda, but I really liked it and I could stand to watch it again.

As far as work goes this week, it's time to box up everything we didn't sell and send it back. This part sucks. Anyone in the area wants a free lunch, come by...we'll drink margarita's and box books...it will be fun.

8 Comments:

I've been trying to get Lord of War for the past 3 weeks since it came out. It's been out all the time. UGH...This weekend I will get it...well maybe if I got the time. Busy weekend.

Saw a couple of good movies this weekend that I'll post about (In addition to Underworld).

If you were a bit closer I'd be over. I could use some margaritas right now, although I'm not sure my body would agree...I think I'm coming down with a cold or something.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 2:34 PM  
Oh, then tequila will surely cure whatever you're coming down with. E-mail me your address, I'll get you a copy of Lord of War.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 3:05 PM  
I don't know if it's the post office when it comes to movies taking a while to arrive through NetFlix. Have you read about the "throttling" technique they're becoming known for? It sucks.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 5:04 PM  
Yeah, I think I've heard about throttling. Is that where you wait a long time for the new releases and people have been clearing out their queue leaving nothing but new releases in it? I had heard that Netflix was doing that to make sure the new people got everything they wanted. The post office here lately has been taking a while to deliver ours, but some of them have come opened and late. I called the post office and complained, now they come banded together when they get here and usually they're on time.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 7:25 PM  
That's kind of what the throttling thing is. They give you everything you want when you're new, but if you start getting too many movies they start waiting longer to ship movies and they also start shipping them from farther away. There's a lot online about it.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 9:48 PM  
Yeah, I've read about it. It's dumb, but I guess they have to make money. They haven't slowed us down yet, but on occassions one will take an extra day to get here. When they start throttling us down, we'll can it, wait until they send us another two week free trial and sign up with that again.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 7:12 AM  
So does Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels which is my personal cucaine/guns/violence film.

Well close tie for Blow - I do love Johnny Depp.
posted by Blogger bobbye at 3:39 PM  
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels was good, as was Pulp Fiction. I thought Blow was a good movie, but I didn't think that guys story was worth telling. That and Penelope Cruz was so awful in that movie I wanted horrible things to happen to her.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 7:29 AM