Monday, March 20, 2006

Movie Review - V for Vendetta

"Remember remember the fifth of November" the movie says as it opens. This movie is awesome. I think they could have put it out this summer and it would have been a great summer blockbuster to rival Superman Returns of X-3. The movie takes place opening very late on November 4th in the distant future where Britain is ruled by a totalitarian government, much like Hitler and the Nazi regime from WWII. They've taken over the country and are persecuting and experimenting on outsiders like gay people and rebels. One of their experiments is code name V, marvelously played by Hugo Weaving. Don't go expecting to see Agent Smith from the Matrix or The Elf King from Lord of the Rings, his role in this one far surpases any of his previous roles, though you never see his face. Anyway, his role is to bring down the oppressive government with the people in true Viva La Revolucion Style. I read some reviews that said this movie was bad because it encourages terrorism and violence. What movies don't? If you honestly believe that after seeing this movie, you wrote too much in to it. It's based on a graphic novel under the DC comics label and while I didn't read the book (but might), the movie is well played out. Natalie Portman is smoking hot until they shave her head. Even then she's not bad, but she sortof looks like a dude in some of her shots with no hair. The movie is twisted a bit at times, but it's really good. The plotting, the scheming, the revenge, the action, it's all there. It's not gory (much) but it's awesome. I can't wait for the DVD to come out because this is truly a movie to own that is right up there with the Matrix trilogies (also done by the Wachowski brothers) and it's worth seeing in the theaters. Now if I can just convince the wife to go see it while it's still on the big screen I'll be doing good.

In other news this weekend I got the front yard landscaped how we wanted it. I was even nice enough to document it with pictures on our photo blog. That's it for our Monday, I hope everyone else had a good weekend.

13 Comments:

I'm not sure I'll ever get to see this one...J has it out for Natalie Portman ever since Closer. He holds a grudge I guess.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 3:42 PM  
Well, if it makes him feel better she's not quite as...um...outspoken as she was in that movie. She even gets tortured. You guys shouldn't miss this one.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 3:58 PM  
Ha ha..it doesn't have anything to do with the character she played in Closer...it's the fact that she chose to be in a movie like that. He assumes she has no taste now I suppose.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 6:20 PM  
closer was one of the worst movies ever. And for me to say that... well it's bad. But this movie totally redeems all the crap she's ever done.

LOVE IT.

MUST SEE THIS MOVIE!

I want to go again.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 7:41 PM  
Chas - I didn't think it was that bad. Surely he doesn't hate Clive Owen now too does he?

Jenn - you need to come in town ASAP and we'll make Jen go see it with us.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 8:10 PM  
I'm going to go and see this movie next weekend. I've heard a lot of good things about it so I just have to see it now. I need a good mindless action flick with the way I'm feeling right now. I so badly need to win the lottery!
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 9:47 PM  
Maybe Saturday?
posted by Blogger Jenn at 10:32 PM  
Are both you guys coming in town?
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 8:10 AM  
It would just be me. No hubby, no baby. Bliss!`
posted by Blogger Jenn at 9:21 AM  
Call us, I'm sure we can hook up at some point.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 11:40 AM  
I caught this movie with my son this past weekend and agree with the review. Definatley worth catching. *DON'T* go expecting a mindless action film though, there are only a few action sequences. It's much more of a thought provoking movie than the trailers would have you think in my opinion. Hugo was excellent.
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 5:22 PM  
That movie was awesome, as is the link I found on your blog. The number one song the day I was born was the Bee Gee's "Night Fever." I sense a new blog coming on.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 11:31 PM  
watched V for Vendetta recently, loved it. eye-candy effects, amazing how much character they developed into a mask, then again, maybe he was more than a mask...
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 5:25 PM