Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Rush Rush Rush

Sorry I've been out of touch this week. Summer classes started yesterday and it's been pretty hectic around here. I do have a couple of good stories for you though. We started a contest here at the store to see who got the dumbest question asked to them each day. Since I'm here most of the time by myself it's a contest I always win. The winner gets a shot of tequila. Todays winner (and only todays because the 100 proof tequila makes yesterdays winner a little fuzzy) might take the cake for the month. A girl walks in with two books and says "I need to get some money for these." I assume they're her books from last semester so I scan them as if I'm buying them back. She gave me a funny look and said "No. Um...I wanted to check your prices on the books." Okay, it was early, tequila was cold, maybe I misunderstood her. So I bring up the same books with our price, and we're sure enough cheaper than campus. Then she said "Okay, um how do we do this?" I was confused and said "How do we do what?" She said "Well, I'd rather pay your price so I need some money." So I told her she'd have to return those to the bookstore and then come buy these from me. She looked very puzzled and said "I didn't really want to do all that so I was just hoping that you would give me the difference in price." I'm not sure what look I gave her, but it had to be a "Did you really just say that?" look. Before I could speak she interrupted with "If I could just keep these books, and you can give me the difference in price, I think it's like $40, that would be fine. That way I can keep these and have them at your price." Needless to say I didn't give her the money. What thought process does someone go through to arrive at that as a good idea? Do you think this made more sense in her mind than it did when she said it out loud? She came back by to tell me I didn't have to hold the books for her anymore because the campus store told her she couldn't buy them here. Call me crazy, but this might be the dumbest girl alive.

5 Comments:

Wow...and this girl is in college. I'd be interested to know her GPA.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 6:46 PM  
I would be too. The funny thing is that it was a Pre-Calculus class. If it was a developmental or insanely remedial course I could have written her off as mentally handicapped. Sadly, I think she was serious and thought this was a good idea. I wonder if she does this at Wal Mart?
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 8:47 PM  
That has got to be one of the top one's I've heard. I have to admit I'm starting to wonder about the IQ levels in GA...hell I guess you could say that just about anywhere.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 9:08 PM  
well, just 'cause she took the class and bought the book doesn't mean she will actually understand anything in the class. She might be one of those people that signs up for premed and then realizes that, "OH hell, being a doctor's gonna be hard. What was I thinking."
/Mike
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 10:09 PM  
Chris - you have no idea. Oh the stories I could tell you about this place. I have to call Mike once a week to tell him a new story and ask "were we this dumb in college?" If I was I want to be hurt badly.

Mike - you might be exactly right about her. I'm still trying to figure out her thought process that led her to ask that question.

They say there is no such thing as a stupid question. Whoever made that up has never worked here. We get them all the time, and they do exist.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 9:06 AM