Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Gym Advice

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've started working out again. I weighed in at 235 so the goal is to be down to 200 around my birthday. For some reason I can't get below 225, but we'll see what happens. Anyway, I'm working out using lighter weights, higher reps, doing cardio and I pretty much feel useless because I don't like lifting light weights.

I used to have a personal trainer that I worked out with for three or four years. I don't know everything, but I know my way around a gym floor. I'm not one of those guys that pretends I know everything and passes out advice to every person that walks by. Well, I met one of those guys yesterday. I don't know how many of you work out, but typically the guys that do this are fat and have no definition in any part of their body. I was doing curls today and a guy walks up and starts telling me what to do. I hate when people talk to me while I'm working. Wait until I set the damn thing down if you have something to say. So he starts correcting me and I'm immediately thinking "What the hell is this about?" I wasn't doing anything wrong, or cheating so what he was telling me to do was insane. I said "Thanks man," thinking that would make him go away. Somehow it only encouraged him. So he decides to stick around (I do have a workout partner and I had no idea who this guy was) and give more advice. Finally I just said "Hey man, I just got out of physical therapy for a torn bicep. This is what they told me to do so I don't tear it again." Then he starts telling me how I tore my bicep. Just to make sure everyone is with me here, I don't know this guy, he's fat, he's giving me advice, and now he's telling me how I hurt myself. As much as I'd like to say I did it working out, I did it at work when I caught something I shouldn't have. My workout partner isn't near as nice as I am and we were both pretty annoyed. I finally had to ask the guy to go away. I didn't want to be rude since it is the Young Mens Christian Association, but he left me no choice. I looked at him and said "Hey thanks man, I hurt this at work. If you don't mind, we'd like to continue here." I really can't stand someone who thinks they're a pro. I wouldn't have given that dude advice unless he was about to drop a bar on his head. He acted like he took offense to me telling him thanks but no thanks. Seriously, if I need help I'm the first person to ask. If I don't ask, that generally means I don't need your advice. I probably would have thought about it a little more had he been a personal trainer, or been in better shape than I am. He was neither.

I guess this just all proves that some people go to the gym to talk, some go to check out women, and some people go to work out. I go to work out. Talk to me when you're an expert and I look like I want you to.

2 Comments:

Oh, I agree, that would be really annoying to have that stranger totally butt in!
posted by Blogger Sprinkles at 9:49 PM  
And people used to wonder why I liked going to the gym at 5 a.m. There was usually noone there but other people who kept to themselves and a whole lot of senior citizens whose only big beef was that people wipe down the machines with the antibacterial wipes when they were through, which I thought was sort of funny. Oh, and I always had my headphones on. Talk about antisocial :)
posted by Blogger manababies at 12:10 AM