Monday, February 07, 2005

Which words to spell

Have you ever talked to someone on the phone and wondered why they only spell the easy words? I was talking to a customer the other day. Let's call him Gary. When he gave me his information, he said "My name is Gary, that's G-A-R-Y. Last name is.." Well, I should probably leave that one blank, but I assure it it was seven miles long. He opted not to spell that one for me. I'm pretty smart, and I can figure out most things or take a guess phonetically and maybe get them right. I couldn't even being to fathom what this was. Then he finally spells it and we move on to his street address. This guy had to be messing with me. It was 123 somethingorother road. He spells road, the street was a spanish name of some sort. He said "Nobody every knows how to spell that." I'm thinking "If no one knows how to spell it, SPELL IT OUT!" Seriously, I can spell road all day long without anyones help.

Secondly, we've got a guy here in the office who has no real job function. He sends e-mails and nags people about their job. One day I swear I'm going to ask him what his job entails. Someone today at the morning meeting gave him pom-poms and a mega-phone because he was "inspiring and motivational." The rest of us cracked up to no end, whereas he thought this was a good thing. The pom-poms are hanging on his wall like an award. I think next week I'll get him a dunce cap to see if he wears it all day.