Friday, June 24, 2005

Signs I don't like

Every now and then, in travels and being out in public in general, I notice signs that I really don't like. I took time to name a few just because they annoy me.

"Authorized Personnel Only." Now, if there's one thing I know about myself, it's that I'm definitely not authorized. I wouldn't even know where to go get authorized. Can you do it by mail? Wouldn't baptism sort of authorize you? I go through these doors anyway. If I get stopped I say "Well, I may not be authorized for this, but I'm authorized for other things. And your sign doesn't mention which things."

"One Way." It's pretty obvious to me that you can only go one way at a time. I got stopped when I was up north (where they have no sense of humor) and they said "Hey buddy, this is a one way street!" I informed them that I was only going one way and their way wasn't near as convenient as mine.

"Wrong Way." According to who? Right and Wrong is all a matter of opinion. What some people view as right, others view as wrong. How can a sign pass any sort of judgement? It has no feelings or instincts, it can't possibly know the difference.

"Please Wait to be Seated." That's obvious. If you came in to my home would you seat yourself without permission? Surely not. In the organized chaos that is a restaurant do you think you'd ever get service if they didn't know you were there? No...you would not.

"Violators Will be Prosecuted." Wuss. This is not a threat that should scare anyone with our legal system. I think we need to go back to the old days and leave the courts out of hit. Hang a sign that says "Violators run the risk of being shot or getting their ass kicked. Violate at your own risk." Trust me, if word got out that you had a Desert Eagle .50 (a hand cannon for those that do not know), people would think twice before making any violations against you.

On a lighter note, I had lunch with Chas and the Notorious Interblogger today. Happy birthday IB and I can't wait for everyone to see the new template he's made. It rocks. With any luck, I can talk the wife in to seeing a movie with me tonight. She just doesn't know it's coming yet. Have a good weekend!

1 Comments:

I'm with you all the way on that one chichworldtraveler. Who is to say which way is the one way you can go?
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 11:19 AM