Thursday, August 04, 2005

I can't drive 55.

As Sammy Hagar said - "Go on write me up for 125 and post my face wanted dead or alive." It would appear the State of Tennessee has too much free time as they've now brought all of their part time state troopers on full time hoping to generate $9 million in speeding ticket sales. Officers have a goal of a ticket every 10 minutes. Let's be serious. Is this really necessary? They're considering five miles over the speed limit to be good reason to give you a ticket. While they have you pulled over, they can give you a ticket for anything else (seat belt violations, broken tail lights, etc.) to keep their average of a ticket every 10 minutes alive. Really, there are such better ways to have state troopers spend their time. Our sales tax here is almost 10 percent so why is it this state needs to generate more revenue? Personally I think we should take a long hard look at where the money is going and why we have budget problems every year before the state declares martial law on all motor vehicles to generate revenue. Anyway, if this was years ago and I still had a fast car I'd make them try to catch me. Now I have a Jeep so doing the speed limit on the interstate is about all you can hope for, exceeding is out of the question. Maybe I'm making more out of this than there is because I haven't seen a state trooper yet, but I think it's more the principle of "we need money so we're writing tickets every 10 minutes." That would be like high school bands robbing you at gun point to make money for their trip to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Maybe they should try that, the state seems to be getting away with it. I think as long as they make a public announcement that they're going to be going door to door robbing people blind at gunpoint no one will argue. At any rate, I think it's a bit excessive and just gives our local law enforcement a bigger opportunity to act like bullies did in elementary school. They really don't need more of an excuse, but we just gave them one.

5 Comments:

I have to agree with you on the part about writing tickets every 10 minutes. Sounds like they are trying to boost revenue.

However on the other hand I'd be glad to see the police/highway patrol more active on the highways. On the route that I drive to work people go close to 90 miles an hour. I'm a stickler when it comes to driving. I guess I consider myself a good driver and everyone else a bad driver! :)
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 11:13 AM  
Nope, I'm right there with you. The problem is these ass clowns will pull over a minivan with their left blinker on going five miles over the speed limit rather than pull over the idiots who dart in and out of traffic at 90 mph.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 2:30 PM  
Speaking as someone who is currently on a PAYMENT PLAN for her sweet husband's no-so-sweet monster speeding ticket, I can say wholeheartedly that I agree with you!
posted by Blogger ABC at 5:31 PM  
Well, I actually drive the speed limit, and I'm sick of nearly getting run over by people who are speeding. So I'm all for more speeding tickets. I wish they'd have a cop every 50 feet on hwy. 153. I get passed on both sides when I'm driving out to Hamilton Place, going 10mph over the speed limit, and it scares the crap out of me.
posted by Blogger anya at 7:31 PM  
That would just be insane. That's permission for cops to pull you over and search your car that they don't need. Maybe if you'd been pulled over and held at gun point because you "looked like you might be running drugs" going the speed limit you'd feel differently. Telling them to generate nine million dollars in speed ticket revenue is like watching Roscoe P. Coltrane haul off the General Lee for a busted tail light - one that he kicked in. We're not far from that at this point. Soon they'll be pulling you over and giving you a citation because you looked like you were going to speed at some point during the day.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 6:44 PM