Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Taking Care of Business...

"If you ever get annoyed look at me I'm self employed..." I can't say as I'm working at nothing all day because I've been swamped. Unfortunately, I don't even have a really good Milton3P0 story to give you. I did have our main book rep come by yesterday to buy some books and walk me through their online system and when he heard she was coming he was frantically cleaning the front of the store like the Pope was coming. I told her we were renovating, and he knows we're renovating. He moved all my stuff to the back where I couldn't find it, and it was sitting amongst the trash. I wasn't real happy with that, but what does one do with a protocol droid? I finally told him to stop moving things and turn off the vacuum cleaner because he'd worked a sweat from head to toe. Really. It was pretty nasty and the room was pretty cold. When I told him to stop he said "But sir, this is the first time she'll see the store under the new regime. I would think you'd like for the place to look as though we're business as usual." Okay, short of closing the doors, we don't have a way to hide the renovations. We're painting the dang ceiling and pulling up the 15 year old purple carpet. I'm changing it to a front counter type store (for the bookstore guru's) so everywhere they had the tables they stole from 1974 - I did get pictures for those that requested - the carpet is it's original color. We have a mostly faded purple carpet with out nine spots that are the original purple. Once we cleaned the cobwebs off, those sections looked almost knew. Anyway, this is a lot of work. I've always taken for granted everyone I worked with before that ordered stuff and got the contractor hired to paint and strip stuff. Right now, I'm the contractor, the accountant, the purchasing agent, and the guy that works the store every day. Boy...I need a cold Corona. Have a good evening, I'm going to go get myself one...or three....

4 Comments:

Sounds like hard work right now, but I'm sure it's worth it.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 10:03 AM  
You'll get there. It's going to take time. Took my parents about 30 days to get the store in shape and that was with it being totally shut down!

Are you going to have about 10 Coronas when Milton is gone? :) Tomorrow I believe? do you have someone to replace him or are you just going to run it yourself?

Looking forward to the pictures.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 11:20 AM  
Should also ask if you guys are strictly college books or will you be putting on a Harry Potter show Tomorrow evening?

Wife might get me to go to that. She's anxiously awaiting this book! I have to say that I am as well.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 2:34 PM  
Will probably just do college books. We might get in to best sellers and things along those lines eventually but I'm just trying to get above water and get books here before I have students coming in.

Milton asked for special permission to stay on through next week. He's been pretty helpful lately and he's taken to vacuuming the floor every morning when he gets in. Not sure where that is coming from, but it does need to be vacuumed so at least it is money well spent.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 3:57 PM