Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Movie Review - House of Wax, The Island

Yes, it's been another movie week. Pretty soon I'm going to have to change the blog title to something along the lines of Movie Central. Anyway, we finished our holiday shopping early, and with Barbara Walters specials taking up the time slot on my favorite show, it was movie time.

The Island - Not a bad flick. Basically, it's a futuristic Society where people have clones of themselves made in case they need donors for body parts and skin transplants later in life. It's pretty expensive so it's mainly a rich and famous thing. The clones all live in a containment dome because the outside world was contaminated and are told that one day they'll get the opportunity to breathe fresh air and populate the Island. They're fed a strict diet so they are in perfect health and they get to work out all day, but aren't allowed sexual contact, or allowed to ask questions. Ewan McGregor accidentally gets some memory from his sponsor and starts to question the entire ordeal. When his love interest, Scarlett Johannson, wins the lottery and gets to go to the island, he escapes to learn the truth, and then tries to rescue her to get to the real world and find their sponsors. It's a good action flick, I really liked it. I'm not saying you should rush out and buy it, but it's worth a rental - especially if you have Netflix.

House of Wax - This should be called House of Sux. The ONLY redeeming quality in the movie was Elisha Cuthbert. Not because she's a great actress but because she's hot. She acts her part well in the movie, but the premise of the movie is pretty dumb. Paris Hilton also stars. The good news is someone stabs her in the head with a very large stick near the end, but not before she has the opportunity to do some sort of strip tease in a tent for her boyfriend. After stripping down to her underware, she decides this is the opportune moment to tell her boyfriend she's pregnant. She doesn't get that chance because they both get abducted by the psycho's in the movie. Basically, the movie is about six stranded kids headed to a championship game of sorts, and they take a shortcut. One of them has car trouble so they go in search of a town. The town is made completely out of wax, and two psycho brothers have taken it over, killed everyone and made them wax figurines. Honestly, I'd stay away from it unless someone gives you a copy. Someone gave us one or I probably wouldn't have seen it. If you want that copy, let me know and it's yours. I'm hoping Elisha Cuthberts next movie is a little better.

Up next we've got Serenity, the Unrated Version of Old School, Chasing Amy, and Clerks for this week. I'm sure Christmas will yield a few more movies for us. That's all for now.

4 Comments:

We just watched The Island a few nights ago. I really liked it.

We LOVED Serenity. Of course, we are big Firefly fans, so loving Serenity is sort of a given. If you haven't watched Firefly I'm not sure the movie will mean as much to you.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 2:34 PM  
I can't say as I've heard of Firefly honestly but I might have to check that out before Serenity. The Island is really good. Weird, but good.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 2:47 PM  
Well Chas and you convinced me to rent The Island. I really wasn't going to rent it with all the reviews that I heard about it while it was in the theatre.

I will definetly skip House of Wax, but if The Girl Next Door comes on again I will watch that. 100% agree that Cuthburt is HOT!
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 8:31 AM  
Yeah, the girl next door is a good movie. We bought the unrated version. Not much different than the theatrical version, but still a good movie.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 8:40 AM