Thursday, December 15, 2005

Damn you Habib!

So I've been fighting off a cold. I feel miserable to the point that I couldn't come up with anything to blog about for most of the day. Thanks to Habib I now have it. I went over there to get some sore throat lozenges and hopefully some DayQuil. Mostly because my wife says I can't take NyQuil during the day. Not sure what that's about. I looked all over the store, up and down the medicine, candy bar, and snack aisles. I'm freezing cold because it feels like my fever is raging and I finally asked "Habib, do you have cold medicine somewhere that I'm missing?" Then I remembered just as he said it. "No, I'm on probation right now because of stupid people." If I never mentioned it before, to undercover FBI agents went in to Habib's store earlier this year and said "Hey, we want 57 packs of sudafed to go make meth with. That cool with you?" His response (in your best Ghandi voice) - "As long as you don't get me in trouble." He was arrested on the spot and his defense is that he didn't understand American culture well enough to know what meth was. Amazingly he knew that meth would get him in trouble. Do the math there. Anyway, I just had to leave with Chewy Sweet Tarts and a Sprite because there was no cold medicine to be found.

Speaking of people trying to pull things over. This is the big buyback week, and another reason there has been no time for blogging. Some lady came in today and had some sob story about how she was out a bunch of money on this book because of the bookstore. She was almost in tears so I checked it out to see what I could do. While I had her there I checked online prices as well to see if she could get anything for it. Upon turning it back over (she handed it face down) I noticed a sticker from a local used book store that read "50 cents" and was dated 11/05. The book was a 1992 edition of something and scanned as out of print. I informed her of this and she was "shocked" and "appauled." I wasn't rude, I just said (as I turned the screen around) that it was showing up as out of print. Then she sobs again "But they're buying it back for $80 on campus, and you guys ALWAYS give more than they do." I said "If they offer you $80 for it, you should take it. I can't give you that, but if you really want I can give you the 50 cents you paid for it at McKay's last month." At this point she knew I was on to her and said "Well, it's Christmas time and I'm broke. I just try to sell my books to whoever will give me the most but this semester I have to go to the campus store because you won't help me." Being this sick and angry it was all I could do to hold my tongue...and I did.

My fever still hasn't broken so hopefully tonight will involve a lot of NyQuil and a lot of sleep.

4 Comments:

I say skip the NyQuil/DayQuil stuff...just have a 5th of Jack behind the counter and take a shot of that whenever you start to feel down. That should cure you! And of course put you in a great frame of mind for dealing with Dumbasses like sobbing lady. I can't believe people try and pull that shit.

Well I hope you are able to get better. Are you guys going to shut down the shop for awhile even though you aren't traveling over the holidays?
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 4:12 PM  
Probably for a few days just to have a break. I'll have to get pricing on and stuff on the shelves in here as well.

You'd be amazed what people try to pull. Don't even get me started on international editions.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 4:18 PM  
That lady with the book had to feel stupid when you found her out...or maybe she really was stupid and still thought you should take the book. What an idiot; I'd be way too embarrassed to ever try that.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 7:00 PM  
It's really amazing how many people try that. I guess they think bookstores owe them something because books are so expensive. It isn't all our fault though. The publishers are really to blame, but that's a different post.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 9:41 PM