Sunday, December 18, 2005

Movie Review - King Kong

We had some friends that had gone to see this movie early in the week and said it was just awesome. We decided to see a matinee yesterday around 5:00 because we had also heard it was long. The movie was good. The effects and filming were both believeable, realistic, and everything you'd hope they would be going in to a King Kong remake. I think the movie would have been just as good if we had watched it at home and been able to hit the pause button. The movie itself was three hours and seven minutes long. Add at least 20 minutes of previews, and now commercials, to the mix and it's a day long event. We went in at 5:15 and didn't get out until abot 9:00. I guess Peter Jackson thinks since he did Lord of the Rings, everything else he does has to be of epic proportions. I honestly think this movie could have been cut by an hour and a half and still been a good movie. There were a lot of scenes that drug, and were unnecessary. Plenty of the fight scenes between Kong and the monsters on the Island, and the creepy creatures attacking the shipmates seemed like Peter Jackson thought "Man, if we don't have these, this movie won't make it to two hours. Better make these a lot longer." Jack Black could have also been cut. Every time he was on screen I kept hoping for someone to punch him in the throat. I would have gladly done that for them given the opportunity. Anyway, Adrien Brody and Naomi Watts are both good in the movie, as is everyone else. I would say the movie is good, and you should see it, just make sure you have a tolerance for Jack Black, and an afternoon where you don't have any other plans.

In other movie news, the Hot Wife was nice enough to let me get the Unrated Version of The Dukes of Hazzard. It's not that much different than the theatrical version, they just cuss more. Seeing as how we got it free with Fun Cash from Columbia house, it was a good buy. Some of the deleted and alternate scenes are funny, but some of them aren't. I think this movie could have done without Willie Nelson too. Not a big fan of his, but I'm not sure who would have played the role. The Unrated version doesn't feature any more of Jessica Simpson than the theatrical version, but there is a bonus feature about her shorts and her talking about how much she had to work out to fit in to them. Oh yeah, and the music video is on there as well...as it should have been. As I said before, if you are a big fan of the original TV series, don't bother with this one. It's completely different. I did think it was a good movie, and for sure worth a free purchase.

Today is my sisters birthday so we get to do lunch out here in just a little while. Outside of that, the weekend has been uneventful but my cold has gone away so I'll be ready for work this week with a vengance.

6 Comments:

Against my better judgement...

Who the hell is Raul Duke and why are you wearing that ridiculous shirt?
posted by Blogger Jenn at 11:27 AM  
Watch fear and loathing in Las Vegas, and take a closer look at that picture.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 2:50 PM  
PS. Im not boycotting, just not commenting.

Im passively resisting wurd verafacayshun.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 11:29 AM  
King Kong is definitely at the top of my list to see in theaters. No longer at the top of my Netflix list is Land of the Dead. Trust me (because I think you said once that you like horror movies), this is more like Land of the DUMB. It sucked ridiculously!
posted by Blogger ABC at 4:58 PM  
I think we are going to see either King Kong or Chronicles of Narnia while the parents are here. Which would you recommend? King Kong sounds like it would be tiring at 3 plus hours. Damn.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 5:53 PM  
I would highly recommend Narnia. King Kong really wasn't all that good to me. I think you'll have a much better time at Narnia. If it's raining, or the weather is too bad, or the power is out at your house, King Kong might not be so bad to kill three hours with.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 9:40 PM