Monday, June 19, 2006

Weekend Movie Reviews

For all those concerned Dad came home Saturday and other than my mom still trying to raise his blood pressure and give him another heart attack he's fine. The goal was to get up first thing Saturday morning and head to a car show in Huntsville, AL but I thought it better to stay home and see about Dad. He came home around noon and everything was fine so Mike and I went to see Fast and the Furious 3. It actually didn't suck ass like the last one did. I would go as far as to say we both enjoyed it. It's pretty much completely unrelated to the first two in any shape form or fashion except that it's an underground racing ring of some sort. As far as the movie looks, I'd heard it was a pretty good look at Tokyo and it's culture and I guess that's what I assumed Tokyo always looked like so it's good in that sense. Lucas Black is a good lead character and even though he's got a strong southern drawl he's pretty good and I would even say he carried the lead better than Paul Walker and Tyrese did in the last one. Not that Paul Walker is a bad actor, but I think he was held at gunpoint and asked to do that last horrible sequel. Vin Diesel did a cameo at the end of this one, and I'd have to say it's worth seeing and it's probably something that I'll Netflix and make a back-up copy of. The only part of the movie I had a problem with (and if I didn't tell you this you'd know it as soon as you saw it) was the Mustang. Not that I don't like Mustangs, it's that they have one without an engine so instead of using a Ford Performance motor, or a Roush Crate motor, they throw in a Nissan Skyline motor so he can drift with the car. To me, that part of the movie was dumber than words can say. Now retards will think that these muscle cars we have will be faster with a turbo and a motor that's half the size of it's stock motor. I did drive the Cuda to see it, which was probably a little red, but I didn't do it for the last two so I did it here. Nothing short of embarrasing, the car didn't start for the first time since we've rebuilt it with lots and lots of Rice Boys floating around. Finally it started and none of us really know why. So on the way home a "tricked out" Honda Prelude decided he wanted to race and I humiliated him in front of his girlfriend. I didn't just out run him, I messed with him and made sure he knew there was nothing under that hood that would keep up with what I had under mine. If the window rattling sound (and his girlfriend plugging her ears when I roared by) didn't tell him, the fact that I pulled five car lengths on him in a matter of seconds probably did.

Courtest of Netflix, we watched Capote this weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but my hot wife was on her Oscar kick when she added it to the queue so we were curious to see what Phillip Seymour Hoffman did to win best actor. After two hours of my life gone I still don't see it. The movie was an independant film and somewhat artsy fartsy, and in my opinion it sucked ass. I'd sooner go pay full price to see Fast and the Furious 3 again than I'd sit through that thing. Maybe it was a character driven movie or some dumb shit, but I thought it was slow, boring, annoying, and pointless. I guess it could have been true and maybe I should have gotten more out of it but I just don't care. Probably the best true story/independant film I've seen this year is The World's Fastest Indian. It's still slow and somewhat character driven, but doesn't compare to a steaming bowl of elephant piss like Capote did. That being said, if you like independant films and things that suck, you might like Capote. If you like true stories about speed and heroism, watch the Worlds Fastest Indian.

We also finally got to see Saw 2. I liked it, but I can't imagine why they made it. It seemed like the same thing as the first one with a different twist and different people. If you liked the first one, you'd like this one.

That's about it for today. At some point this week I'll get around to my rant about Bobby Flay, the new gym membership, and something else that comes up between now and then. For now, enjoy your Monday.

10 Comments:

You know that's the reason that I won't go see that movie- the inaccuracy of the vehicles. I mean, everybody knows the discombobulated dimifloochie should be on the right side, not the left. And, what about the thingamajig? Shouldn't it be under the right tire?

More importantly- Were there any shirtless men in the movie?
posted by Blogger Rachel at 10:44 AM  
If there were I just don't recall. I think in movies like this the leads always get shirtless at some point just so all the girls who got drug by their dates can get something out of it.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 12:40 PM  
I haven't seen Saw Part 1, but I know exactly why they made Part 2. Kids LOVED the first one. My students aren't old enough to get in, but somehow they'd all seen Saw 2 within the first week. That's all I heard about for several weeks.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 10:09 PM  
It was good, but it wasn't great. The acting in Saw Part 1 is much much worse than part two. It's almost corny how bad the acting is.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 9:26 AM  
I will be looking forward to the Bobby Flay rant because - HOLY CRAP - that guy drives me INSANE. He is even more annoying than when Rachel Ray is constantly saying "EVOO".
posted by Blogger ABC at 1:00 PM  
Pretty funny about the car racing! Honda's or any ricer for that matter will never equal the muscle cars of old. You know it's bad when one of the head Honda tech's (not your local shops...but one of the heads) says that he'd rather have a mustang over a pimped out Honda.

One of these days I'd like to get a Mustang or something and put some add-ons to it.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 8:11 PM  
Boonzie, if you were a guy I'd say just watch Rachel Ray with the sound off and it's less annoying. I'm with you on the EVOO thing all the way.

Chris, you should get a Mustang or something similar. I highly reccomend the 69-70 Chargers and RoadRunners. Not the best handling cars ever made but they're pretty damn cool.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 8:32 AM  
And when I do get a Stang or a Charger you'll come out and help me get the thing so you can hear it a mile away? :) That's my only problem...I'm a total idiot when it comes to mechanical stuff...I mean total idiot! Your wife probably knows more than me!
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 9:30 PM  
Chris, I doubt that. But yes, if you build an old Charger or a Mustang I could potentially fly out and help with that. That would rule.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 1:57 PM  
If you all could have seen me calming him down when it became obvious the Skyline motor was going into the mustang... well it was funny. The way black women scream at the screen during a horror movie, "Bitch don't go that way," was him. Except it was largely cries of, "AWWW WHAT IS THIS HORSESHIT!!!"
/Mike
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 3:18 PM