Tuesday, October 12, 2004

I bet Netflix thinks I'm a super dork.

So, I mentioned earlier that we joined Netflix. It's not so bad so far. I might even consider paying for a month or two of it after I get a DVD burner. I don't know how many Netflix fans we have, but they ask you to rate the movies that you've seen. As of today I've rated 650 movies. I had no idea I'd seen that many movies, nor did I think I would be able to rate that many in two weeks. I suppose if I turned this into a movie review blog, I'd potentially never run out of things to say. Amazon.com does the same thing, and they give you more reccomendations based on what you've rated. Today they had recomended Farenheit 9/11 and a 20X30 Pamela Anderson poster. They also have a link on the bottom of every product that says "Why did you send me this?" So I click both of them. Amazingly, people that rated Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and Double Whammy (a movie with Denis Leary and Elizabeth Hurley) enjoyed both of those items as well. I can see kids surfing the net and clicking on a Pamela Anderson poster so that wasn't as big of a shock as Farenheit 9/11. I can't imagine how that movie relates to anything that I've rated. I should mention, other things I've rated are How to Rebuild Small Block Mopars, A Step By Step guide to restoring your 70-74 Cuda or Challenger, and as many movies as I could find like Star Wars, and Star Trek with some action flics in there. I would buy the poster but I'm certain my wife would never let me hang it anywhere in any part of a house that she also resides in. Hey...I did like Harry Potter, so why not a nice Pamela Anderson poster to go with it? I am kidding of course.

Anyway, we watched the house of Sand and Fog this weekend. I would reccomend you stay away from this movie unless you are just a big cinema person. This movie almost made me cry, and I only cried at the end of Gone in 60 Seconds when his brother gave him the car (chic movies don't make me cry really). It was well shot, well acted, and very moving. It's just a story that you wouldn't expect. I can see why Jennifer Connely was up for best actress, or won best actress for it. She's awesome in this movie, as well as Ben Kingsley. Kingsley always amazes me because he can be anyone. Good guy, bad guy, foreign guy - just name it. However, as much as I would say this is a good movie, I would have to recommend that you not see it unless you like sad stories.

I bet Netflix things I have the strangest tastes. Up next in our queue is About a Boy (for my wife), and Walking Tall (yeah, she doesn't want to see that one). I'll let you know more about those later.

4 Comments:

OK, I heard About a Boy was really, really awesome...seriously, and it was from a man's man...so you may like it...supposed to be somewhat funny.

Also, Walking Tall was absolutely awesome!! The Rock is the man, and if you don't like it then I'll never trust one of your movie reviews again....better than the original in my opinion.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 1:15 AM  
I saw 'About a Boy'...it was cute but I'm tempted to stick it in the chick category. My husband glanced at it as he passed the living room and it certainly didn't capture him. I liked it though. :)

My husband says I'm cold hearted because I never cry during movies. I want to say even during some movie we went and saw, he got all choked up..looked over at me and saw that I was just watching the movie, and he blurted out, "cold wench!" He meant it friendly of course. It just takes a tremendous amount to get actual tears to come from my eyes during a movie...sure I'll get choked up some but cry? nah.

I can understand your wife not wanting a 20x30 poster of Pamela in your house haha but this got me to thinking, as I too would not want one of those posters in my home. But I wouldn't want one a poster that size of myself in our home either. So I'm not sure it's about the woman....I think it's just about the size.

However, I .::would::. hang a poster of my gorgeous baby that size in every room of my home! :)
posted by Blogger Sprinkles at 8:41 AM  
Actually I know a fair number of people that use Netflix and they watch handfuls of movies every week. Everyone I know raves about Netflix, but we've yet to give in to it. My husband and I waste so much time on our computers that I'm not sure we'd fit in all the movies we want to watch. Actually, maybe if we had a DVD player in our computer room we would...hmm now to figure out a way to talk my husband into getting a new dvd/tv :)
posted by Blogger Sprinkles at 1:18 PM  
Guess I am a dork then. Greg likes About a Boy, but then Nick Hornsby is the man. His soccer book was great too!
posted by Blogger Jenn at 8:35 PM