Friday, October 01, 2004

Weekend Movie Update

Well, it looks like my Dad and I are going to be headed to Talladega Superspeedway for Sunday's pre-race activities. My dad has a 1970 Plymouth Superbird that my grandfather drove to work in the early 70's before he died. The car since then has been in my dad's possession (he had four sisters that wanted nothing to do with it) and he restored it when I was a kid. They only made 1800 of the cars for street use, the legal limit to be raced on a Nascar Winston Cup track. Back then you actually had to race something that you could buy off the showroom floor - now it's totally different. Anyway, this weekend at 'Dega they're having an Aero Warrior Cars reunion. Briefly, this type of car is referred to as an aero car as Plymouth built it to run on Nascars longer tracks. The car was outlawed after that year because the other manufacturers couldn't keep up. Ford had the Talledega, Dodge had the Daytona, and Plymouth had the Superbird. I didn't mention Chevrolet because they didn't have a car that could compete - so they coaxed Nascar into outlawing the other cars. This year is the 35th Anniversary of the start of the Aero Wars of Nascar so they're letting all of the old Talledega's, Daytona's, and Superbirds take a parade lap before the race. Dad and I are still talking about doing this, but he isn't sure. We'll see how it goes, and I'll inform you on Monday.

Time for the weekend movie reviews. I watch enough movies that I'm sure I could do one of these every day for a year. If you've got any you're curious about, let me know and I'll give you an honest opinion. This weekends reviews are Hellboy, and Eurotrip. We'll start with Hellboy as I watched most of it first. I'd heard it was a good movie, and the previews made it look really good. Don't be fooled by the previews or positive reviews - this movie is not that great. I wouldn't say that it sucks, but it just isn't a good movie. I was going to buy it, but my wife vetoed that move so a good call for her. It just wasn't as good as I thought it would be. The plot was okay for an action flick, but it ended fairly corny like the Karate Kid movies so I was disappointed. Next we'll go to Eurotrip. It's a good flick - about as good as Road Trip if you like that sort of movie. This one was a little more sacriligious than Road Trip was as there were people having sex in a Confessional. That, I thought was a little too far, but it was funny to some. The best parts of the movie were the catchy song "Scotty Doesn't Know" and DVD extra's. The writers and producers bought a bootleg copy of the DVD three months before it was supposed to be released so they had a big thing about movie piracy. Of all the things I've seen against movie piracy - this one has been the best. They talked about how crappy the sound was, how crappy the video was, and how it sucked of someone to do that to them after they'd worked so hard on the movie. They said they decided to throw that in because people that want to watch movies that way can now. One of them even said "F*ck you pirate!" to close out their piracy rant. Personally, I can see their arguement. Somehow I wasn't sympathetic to the music people about this, but for the movie people I am. Anyway, I wouldn't go out of your way to check out either movie if you don't have to. Have a great weekend and we'll bring you a play-by-play of either the race or the house hunt on Monday!