Saturday, May 07, 2005

My Mom wants Spinners...this is so sad...

So, I was over at Mom and Dad's working on my car the other day. My Mom comes home and walks in to the garage and said "Ooh! I found a new set of wheels I want for my Jeep!" This is an odd statement for my mom because she doesn't think you should change anything on the car ever. So, she starts to describe them to us - "Okay, so I was next to this Cadillac SUV at a stop light and when he stopped, his wheels kept spinning! It was the coolest thing ever! I need some of those for my Jeep, do you think they make them in my size?" We said "Sure, for about $2500 we can get you a set." She was a little depressed but thought that spinners were the coolest thing she'd ever seen.

While I haven't seen too many spinners lately, I think the craze is dying down. I think these 20 - 22" wire wheels are taking over. How do I know this? In this industry I hear people talk about it all the time, but on the way home the other day I see this new Pathfinder with wire wheels and I thought "Man, those things are huge!" I say huge because your average wheel size is 15" or 16". Some performance cars and trucks now come with 17's, but the tire market is moving that way. These wheels were so big, they looked cartoonish so I had to stop and look. Sure enough, they're huge. Huge enough that the guy had a sign in the back window that read (word for word) "26's Biatch!" At least he's proud of his purchase. I'm certain I would be too.