Thursday, June 30, 2005

Movie Review War of the Worlds

Last night was all you can eat Hooters wings and The War of the Worlds. All I can say is wow. This movie rocked. After seeing Batman Begins I thought any movie I saw this summer would be a disappointment. This one was far from it. I did my senior reseach project on the War of the Worlds radio broadcast so I was interested enough in it to read the book by HG Wells. The book is, to me, a lot less interesting than the broadcast and I don't know how well the movie follows it because I don't remember it that well. I do know that the opening of the movie is the opening line of the book, which I thought was cool. I've decided I don't much care for Tom Cruise and the two kids in the movie annoyed me to no end. I guess they were supposed to, but there was a point at the beginning when I thought "someone needs to shut her up." The action sequences were very real. I don't think graphic was the word I would use, but they seem very realistic and the horror hits home in 911 fashion as once the martians attack you see people holding signs with pictures and numbers looking for missing people. That part of it was kinda sad, but if you've read the book or heard the broadcast you know how it ends. I won't tell you, but I will say that it's true to story. The martians looked just as they were described in both the novel and the broadcast so it was cool that they looked just as I had pictured them. What was really amazing to me was that you couldn't tell any of it was computer animation. It all looked very realistic and not anything like Episode I or Independence Day. I did like both of those movies, but you knew that it was done on a green screen. This one made you wonder. As far as movie recommendations go, this is one I would not miss in the theaters unless you have the ultimate sound system with the worlds best TV screen. Its just too much to miss on the big screen. Well, hopefully at some point this weekend I'll talk the hot wife in to a matinee to see Mr. and Mrs. Smith or the Longest Yard, but it looks unlikely. Next big one is the Fantastic Four. I'm already in line for that one next weekend and I cannot wait.

Well, tomorrow I'll be my own boss so I'm making out a to do list of things I need to cover on day one and we'll go from there. Wish me luck!

7 Comments:

Honestly the only reason I'm going to see this is because the wife wants to see it. Looks okay, but it's not one that I really want to see. As for the other movies (Batman and Fantastic 4...hell yeah).

Best of luck on your new ventures. You'll do well and this time you'll be the boss!
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 11:58 AM  
The movie is good, if you liked Independence Day, you'll love this movie. Tom Cruise is an evil gnome but I think you'll like it if you can get past him.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 12:04 PM  
I honestly don't know if I can get past Tom Cruise, not to mention this really isn't the kind of movie I get truly excited about. I'll see it in a matinee if Jason insists, but your annoying kids comment didn't help much :).
posted by Blogger Chastity at 2:11 PM  
Tell Jason I'm sorry if that ruined his chances at seeing it. I don't think it was Jennifers kind of movie either, but she seemed to like it.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 4:25 PM  
I'm seeing a side career as a movie reviewer in your future! I've been wanting to see this one so that's some good information to go on. Afterwards, I am putting Tom Cruise back into my "We Are All So Over You" file!

Good luck with your first day as a business owner! Woo hoo!
posted by Blogger ABC at 5:00 PM  
So the whole cast goes on the View this morning to pump the movie. And of course Katie excuse me KATE came out and jumped on the couch with Tom.

As much as I was looking forward to this movie, since I enjoy the broadcast and others... It's seriously a buzzkill. Someone make Tom STOP promoting and send Miranda Otto (Eowyn) and Dakota Fanning instead...
posted by Blogger Jenn at 3:46 PM  
You would think those two would get it after they said they weren't going to re-sign Katie Holmes for Batman. Not only that, Warner Brothers said "We're going to find a much stronger actress for the love interest because her engagement to Tom Cruise pulled too much publicity from the movie." I would think they should realize people think they're stupid, but they don't.

I agree Boonzie, after the movie he goes back in the "we're over you" file.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 4:00 PM