Friday, July 01, 2005

Day one as my own boss...

Am I in an office space sequel? You wouldn't think so, being in a college book store. I'm working with the two old guys that ran the place originally and I inherited their employee. Their employee is a cross between C3P0 and Milton. If you think I'm joking, check this out. I thought I'd be a good boss today and I'd buy them lunch for teaching me how this place works. Instead of saying "thank you," what I got was this: "Sir, I appreciate your purchasing lunch for the two of us. You may take whatever percentage I have consumed out of my pay." I told him that wasn't necessary and he said "Well then thank you very much sir. Please understand that my goal is not to deplete your account by consuming free lunches." I gave him Tuesday off. I can only be called "sir" so many times in one day. Normally when people call me sir, I tell them that sir died in 1975 (my grandfather) or that I'm not old enough to be sir. His response - "Yes sir, thank you sir. I'll make a note of that sir."

Outside of that, the day went pretty smooth. It's a lot to learn and I'm going to need a lot of Corona's to try and figure out what it is I just did. Oh yeah, it's finally hit me that I'm not working where I was yesterday. I don't think they've realized it yet because my e-mail account it still active and I'm still getting customer e-mails in it. Well, an old friend is in town tonight and I'm going to take the hot wife and meet up with him for some drinks later on. I hope everyone has a great fourth of July weekend - just remember why we celebrate it, and celebrate it well.

7 Comments:

Oh so happy for you! It now seems real. Love the new story about your employee...I'm sure we'll hear more about him.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 9:37 PM  
Can't wait to hear more about your new employee. Sounds like a guy that used to work with us. I thought he was going to be a lifer with us, but he left this last spring.

And a college bookstore...hummm...so does that mean when I pay an outrageous price for on of my books I can come here and complain? :)
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 8:56 AM  
Absolutely you can. I'm now "the man" as my workout partner told me. I'm the lead oppressor of college students.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 9:52 AM  
Which college bookstore? Never have gotten details...
posted by Blogger Jenn at 12:22 PM  
I wouldn't go so far as to say you are the oppressor of college students, just the prices on college books are a little to pricey sometimes!
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 9:25 AM  
This new gig of yours sounds totally fun! In fact, it's probably something my hubby would like to do one day. Him surrounded by books -- I think he'd be in heaven. :) Too funny about your employee. hehe
posted by Blogger manababies at 9:45 PM  
Christian, believe it or not the margins are not what you think they are. I don't feel so bad having paid for books through college knowing what they cost.

Jenn, e-mail me if you want details.

Manababies, the funny thing about this is I'm not a reader at all. I'm a hard core car guy. I told my Dad what I was doing and he said "You don't read." It should be fun and I think I'll enjoy it, but I'll keep everyone posted on Milton3P0. He should make for more good stories.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 11:43 PM