Wednesday, July 06, 2005

What does an anurism feel like?

So, I haven't drank myself in to a coma yet but I'm close. Yesterday I sent my inherited employee home. He just called me sir one too many times. Today he took to calling me Mr. (insert last name of choice). Sorry, that isn't my name and as best I can tell sir died in 1975. So I said "Alright Milton, you can call me Patrick. Sir as we discussed earlier died in 1975." His response "Yes sir, Patrick Sir." Damnit man, what is with you? Well, I'm still getting settled in here and learning everything I need to know. It's amazing how people are threatened by a competitor bookstore owner. It's like they bow up instantly when they find out who you are. I'm doing my best not to start fights and to pick the fights we have to start. It's really hard to be nice to some of these people. Milton3P0 included. He's a nice guy, but realistically he's annoying. He speaks fluent old english. Why would you learn this? I can understand learning spanish, french, dutch, latin, pig latin or something because they have translators for those. I can't imagine how much fun this guy is at parties. Anyway, he's here screwing with the radio right now and can't figure it out. The question of the day is "Sir, will their be any change in the selection of music offered at the store?" He prefers classical. The good news is they're leaving me a refrigerator so I can stock it with cold Corona's 24/7. Not like I'll get fired for drinking on the job you know.

7 Comments:

You should make the new dress code (at least for a day) hip hop, complete with oversized jerseys and big gold chains. Then take a picture of Shakespeare and post it on the wall as, "Employ of the Month".
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 9:34 AM  
"Employee of the month" anyway.
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 10:01 AM  
I should hang shakespeare on the wall with "My number one homey" written below it.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 11:06 AM  
For now, I'd soak up as much knowledge as you can from Milton3P0 on the ins and outs of your bookstore. Some people are just old fashioned in the sense that you are his boss and he wants to show you respect and maybe that's how he's doing it - by calling you Sir. Old habits die hard, and maybe that's why even though you've given him permission to call you by your first name, he just can't seem to bring himself to do so. I'd try to just ignore it for now, and maybe over time as you two get to know each other better he'll feel more comfortable calling you 'Patrick'. If he's doing his job well, and running the bookstore effectively - while you're learning the ropes, I'd just let the name thing slide as best you can. College bookstores are always a bit quirky.

I've been so busy lately that I haven't had much of a chance to chat with you about your new endeavor.

Keep your chin up, your skin thick, and your open mind and creativity flowing!
posted by Blogger Sprinkles at 1:49 PM  
ahhh...this gave me a good laugh this morning! Sorry that you have to go through this, but it sounds like your really enjoying yourself!

Looking forward to more stories about homeboy...err...milton3po!
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 1:49 PM  
Milton3P0 came with the business and we agreed to keep him on because he's been there for seven years. We did think Insanity that he'd be a big help to us and could show us tons of stuff, but all he can really do is answer the phones and buy back books. He gets here an hour before we open to play on the computer but if someone comes to the door to buy or sell books he won't let them in. He does have keys to the cash drawer and everything so I'm not sure about that practice. He's leaving to get his Masters soon so the Milton 3P0 stories will be brief, but so far entertaining.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 3:44 PM  
Poor Milton...I kind of feel sorry for him.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 11:57 PM