Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Milton Returns

So, I thought he was gone...really. I get a call last night and it's Milton. He wants to know if he can come by and use my fax machine. I said okay, that shouldn't be a problem and he wants to know what we've done with the store. I gave him a rundown and he was all excited to see the store. So he shows up at about his usual time and ooh's and aaah's over the store for a minute. Then he said "Sir, I wanted to come by and let you know that I'll not be coming by. I feel like I shouldn't stay here until 1:00 because there would be nothing for me to do. My mother will take me to the library where I can use their fax and I'll be able to watch an educational film until 1:00 when she can pick me up. I knew my coming by would put you at sort of a standstill so I felt obligated to show up personally and let you know I would not make it." Kudos to Milton for letting me know he wasn't coming in, but I don't think we would have been at a stand still waiting on him to arrive. My fax machine is in pretty low demand. Milton stayed just for a brief moment, informed me that he did not like that we'd gone to Sattelite Radio and that we should switch back to classical because "that is the best setting for a bookstore sir..." Well, simply put I won't have the best setting if that's the case.

In store news, it's almost ready. The ceiling has been painted, the carpet has been removed and replaced with laminate hardwood, the new front counter is in, the shelves are up, and the books are on the shelves. Honestly, we look like a bookstore. It's amazing. I've got my new signage under way and we'll probably put that in this weekend. Next week we should start selling so we're about to have people here if we want them or not. Keep your fingers crossed, we're about to see how good or bad I am at ordering books.

5 Comments:

I don't think I've ever heard of someone showing up to let you know that they're not going to show up.

Yep, that's definitely a new one!
posted by Blogger ABC at 2:25 PM  
ha! Milton is insane.

I would like to put in laminate hardwood in my house. I need to come by and see the place. It sounds like you have done quite a bit to fix the place up. What are you store hours?
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 8:39 AM  
So any tips for installing the floors? Wife wants to put some of the lock and grove stuff in the kitchen this winter if we can afford it. I would like it as well.

When I read your title I thought he was coming back to work for you.

Glad to hear the store is coming along. Hope to hear some good stories.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 9:39 AM  
Christian, a hammer and a solid block of wood...like oak. Just something small like an inch thick maybe five or six inches long. Hitting it with the hammer will save you from hitting it with your hands to lock it together. Outside of that it's pretty easy. Dad and I did about 500 square feet in less than eight hours.

J, I'm usually here from 7:30 - 6 most days. You guys can come down and see it anytime you like.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 1:17 PM  
Where are the pictures?? :)
posted by Blogger manababies at 12:35 AM