Monday, August 29, 2005

Movies, movies, and more movies

Okay, before we get in to todays post I would like to ask everyone to send prayers or happy thoughts or whatever you can send to our friends Sara and Brian who live in New Orleans. They actually live in Covington so they're not in the hole that New Orleans is in, but when I talked to them last night they were evacuating. I'm sure they'd appreciate any thoughts and prayers you can throw their way as well.

So, we had a weekend full of movies. Friday night we finished up the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. If you haven't watched the extended cuts, I would highly recommend you do so. They're great and they explain so much more than the theatrical versions did.

Sunday I went with my brother in law to see the Dukes of Hazzard. We had a free pass so it was well worth that. I can see how some of the TV show purists don't like it because it doesn't promote the same family values. It did have a lot of good chase scenes, Jessica Simpson, the famed 69 Dodge Charger, and Jessica Simpson. Willie Nelson was alright as Uncle Jessie, but I can't imagine (short of Robert Duvall) who would have played him any better. Johnny Knoxville and Sean William Scott were good opposites so I would look for them to do another movie together. If you're a TV purist, I would say not to see the movie. If you like Jessica Simpson, car chases, Dodge Chargers, and Jessica Simpson - see the movie I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Sunday night we went with some friends to see The Brothers Grimm. It was good. I didn't know what to expect, except that I'd read somewhere it was a comedy. It wasn't, but it had it's funny moments and I'd say was worth seeing. It's an interesting take on how the Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales came to be. Basically the two brothers go around trying to rid villages of their demons and witches and getting paid to do it. It is of course all set up so they're con artists that eventually get caught and are forced to rid a village of it's curse. The fairy tales only come in small references so the wife and I were talking all the way home about what references there were to what fairy tales so we liked it. The hot girl in this movie was Monica Bellucci. You can also find her in Brotherhood of the Wolf and the Matrix sequels. I wouldn't go see the movie for her because her part is small, but since she's way hotter than Jessica Simpson she deserved mention. The movie is good, but it's basically someone elses fictional take on how the Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales came to be.

Have you ever noticed that the previews to a movie usually dictate how good the movie is going to be? In both cases we saw some good previews. Probably the one I'm looking forward to the most is V for Vendetta. It looks to be really good, and it's another DC comic movie so I'm sure I'll be seeing that one. If you haven't seen it...watch the trailer. The other trailer that sticks out is what I thought was going to be the first Underworld Evolution Trailer, but it wasn't. I thought they had de-hotted Kate Beckinsale but as it turns out it was Charlize Theron. The movie is called Aeon Flux and it's a futuristic revolution movie. Looks pretty good. Last, but not least - The Transporter 2. If you haven't seen the first one go rent it. It's just a good action flick all around. I didn't catch the first one in the theater, but I'll catch this one while it's in theaters. That's all from our weekend. It's monday morning so it's back to work.

4 Comments:

I'm interested in seeing V is For Vendetta although I have to say that DC Comics seem to be behind the curve compared to Marvel Movies. Regardless it looks interesting.

I haven't seen previews for Aeon Flux, but I'm looking forward to it.

We went and saw The Cave this weekend. I was quite suprised. I'll post up something on it later today!
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 9:28 AM  
Was the Cave good? I wasn't sure about the preview but it had a lot of people in it that I recognized.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 9:38 AM  
Transporter is gonna rule!!!

Serenity is the next one Im excited about though. Joss has a wicked sense of humor.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 10:59 AM  
Cave was suprisingly good. I'd say go to it at a matinee.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 7:32 AM