Monday, October 10, 2005

Weekend and movies in review...

Well, another weekend came and went. Friday night was fun. We went to see Here Come the Mummies at Cajun Fest and took Mike since he'd never seen them. They're really good live, but the Cajun Fest was a huge disappointment. The Cajun food was minimal and the beer was limited to Budweiser products. Mike and I drank a lot of beer at cajun fest, and then a lot of Jack at a very 70's bar called Lamar's. The version of Jack and Coke they serve could best be described as two and a half shots of Jack, with another shot of Jack and a hint of Coke. Yeah...needless to say I can't hold my liquor like Mike can but that's another story for another time. Hopefully one that won't be told.

Saturday was lounging around the house and hanging with the in-laws. Spent part of the day buring DVD's for my brother-in-law because he's coming home from Canada this week so it will be good to see him before he moves to Texas. The in-laws came over Saturday night so we could hang out. My in-laws aren't that bad so it was pretty fun. Turns out we needed the rest for Sunday. One of our friends is a Chili's Manager and he took us down to Maggiano's in Atlanta for some pretty good Italian food and a movie. Chili's and Maggiano's are both owned by Brinker International so we got a discount on the dinner. It was good. On the way home we stopped off and saw Proof at an AMC theater. The movie was good, but not what I thought it would be from the previews. In short, Gwyeneth Paltrow plays the daughter of Genius Mathematician Anthony Hopkins. Hopkins character went crazy and died but while Paltrow was caring for him she wrote an amazing mathematical proof. The rest of the movie is about her problems with her sister, and love interest Jake Gyllenhaal, and of course proving who wrote the proof. Everybody is really good in the movie and its probably a better story than I'm making it out to be. There aren't really any special effects or anything that make it a must see in the theaters but it's a good movie. There were some really good previews attached to it as well like DeRailed, and Matador which I'm very much looking forward to see. Haven't decided if I'll add them to the countdowns, but it's under consideration.

This week looks to be pretty busy too, but we should get to see Serenity and Waiting before the week is up. Next weekend, I'm staying home and sleeping in. Really...

6 Comments:

Not so sure about DeRailed, but Matador sounds good. I always like Brosnans movies. Especially liked the Thomas Crowne affair.

Sounds like a good weekend. Unlike last year when I went and got drunk off of daiquri's for my birthday I had one margarita at dinner and called it a night!
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 9:46 AM  
Yeah, if it was my birthday I would have had an excuse but I didn't. I just tied one on I guess.

Thomas Crowne Affair was good. I really liked that movie. He was pretty good in After the Sunset, but that movie wasn't all that special.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 5:09 PM  
Agree with you on After The Sunset. Of course having Salma Hayek half nake throughout the movie helps as well. I think I just like Pierce because he's so sauve...something I am not!
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 9:44 PM  
Serenity kicks bootie! Seriously.

And if you want a good rental... Unleashed is supposed to be amazing. Out today.
posted by Blogger Jenn at 12:04 AM  
Not sure I really want to see Unleashed there Hooters. The previews just didn't do much for me, and the last few Jet Li movies I've seen have sucked so bad it wasn't even funny.

Christian, I'm with you on Salma Hayek. All she needed to be was fully naked for that movie to be any better. Brosnan is pretty damn suave. Makes you want to wear a suit and drink vodka martini's shaken not stirred.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 7:57 AM  
I've got Kingdom of Heaven...

Sat night? Big tv?
posted by Blogger Jenn at 10:37 PM