Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Gum Chewing and Wireless Headsets

Two things I hate. Don't get me wrong, I chew gum on occasions. The kind of gum chewing I hate is the people that you can always hear smacking it and somehow feel the need to stick it out of their mouth when they talk to you. I know there are people that are chronic gum chewers, but keep it in your mouth. It seems that everyone who has come in to the store this week has decided to see if they can make an echo smaking their gum in the store. Either that or when they talk they let it hang half out of their mouth. That's just wrong. The last guy that kept letting his gum hang out seemed embarassed when I said "Do you need a trash can for that or did you just want me to know that you were chewing gum?" He swallowed it. Dumbass.

Cell phones are bad enough, I can't stand the sound of a ringing cell phone. Now people have these wireless headsets so it looks like they're talking to themselves all the friggin time. I loathe this practice. What makes it worse is people just walk around and expect the rest of us to just know they're on their cell phone. I was helping a girl in here last week and a lady came in behind her and I said "I'll be right with you." I was talking to this girl and I hear "Hey! Hey! Listen to me right now!" Me and this girl turned to look at her and I said "Did you not hear me say I'd be right with you?" She said "I wasn't talking to you," and stood silent. I thought she had a personality disorder or something until she got to the counter and started talking again. She turned to reveal a new bluetooth wireless earpiece in her ear. I couldn't make any sense of what she wanted from me or what she needed so I said "Lady, make a choice. Talk on the phone or talk to me, but pick one so I can help you or do something else." She said "I wish there wasn't a counter between us, I'd smack you for talking to me that way." So I responded "I wish you had that bluetooth headset shoved up your ass." She told the person on the phone she had to go and apologized for being rude. After she had paid I said "See how much easier it was when you got off the damn phone?" Her response was priceless "They told me the same thing at the bank earlier. I don't know what you people's problem is. I pay the bill I can talk on it whenever I want." I just shook my head. This lady was old enough to be my mom, and somehow has no idea how to act in public.

A big congratulations goes out to Mike as he just got a call for an interview. I won't reveal the company name on here, but everybody send him a happy thought. Later today or tomorrow I've got another great Mike story that I'm sure everyone will find amusing.

6 Comments:

I'm there with you on the wireless headset things. Isn't enough to have your cell phone with you all the time? Instead you have to have a headset? I just don't get people's fascination with always being able to be contacted by phone. Perhaps I'm a bit old fashioned.

Best of luck to Mike on the job interview...speaking of what does Mike do?
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 11:32 AM  
These are two topics very near to my heart right now.

As a teacher, I see gum constantly, and I now understand why teachers always got so uptight about it. I can't stand to see people that cannot seem to chew their gum with their mouths closed. It doesn't seem to hard, but I guess it is for some. My mother in law rarely chews gum, but when she does I can't be around her; she pops it constantly. She doesn't notice she does it, so when you tell her to stop she does for a short time and then starts right back up.

The headset thing is just weird. I'd be way too embarrassed to talk on one in public. I saw a lady waiting at a restaurant on V. Day talking on a headset, and I really did think she was nuts for a minute.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 10:32 PM  
Chas - I can't stand the gum thing, what's worse is that I was at a funeral home the other night and one of my aunts was doing the same thing. It was all I could do not to say anything to her, but oh well.

So as a teacher do you grab kids by their cheeks and tell them to spit out their gum? For some reason I think watching you do that would be hilarious.

Christian - Mike has a degree in computer science and currently works IT Security for a large company. I guess you could say he's kinda like Agent Smith. He's a sentinal programmer designed to destroy the resistance. If you want to know about his interview I'll tell you via e-mail. It's a pretty big deal for him though.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 10:57 AM  
I might feel like grabbing kids by the cheek, but no, I just make them spit it out.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 9:31 PM  
I hope all goes well for Mike. My plan is to hit that 365 million dollar Powerball jackpot. I know my odds are 1 in 146,107,962, but I am feeling lucky.

That is like taking about 2.8 million decks of cards, marking just one card, shuffling them all together then trying to choose the marked card out of the very tall stack of cards.

Doesn't sound too hard. :)
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 11:02 PM  
The good news is those odds still give you a chance.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 11:03 AM