Thursday, June 29, 2006

Move Review - Superman Returns


Well, I called this movie as last summers Batman Begins. It was a good movie, don't get me wrong...but it wasn't Batman Begins. We did manage to see it last night at 9:00 and were out just before midnight because it's a little over 2 hrs and 45 minutes. Supposedly this movie picks up where the second one left off and disregards completely the second and third movie. I didn't get that from it, but you could tell it didn't restart the franchise like Batman Begins did. The action was a little slow at times, but the action was good when it hit. The basic story is that Superman leaves earth because astronomers found remnants of Krypton in outer space so he traveled out to see them and see if there were any other survivors. Why this took five years, no one knows. He returns to find the world has moved on, and Lois Lane won a pulitzer prize for her article about why the world doesn't need Superman. She's engaged, smokes, and has a son. I won't tell you any spoilers, but the movie is worth seeing on the big screen. Just make sure you see an early show because it is kinda long. As far as casting, I think you'd be hard pressed to set a better cast than this one for Superman. Brandon Routh carried off the role very well, and Kate Bosworth (who is also smoking hot) pulled off the Lois Lane character much better than Margot Kidder. As far as villans go, Kevin Spacey is about as good of an actor as you can find for anything. In this he was disgustingly evil, and damn good at it. He worked a deal with a dying widow to inherit her fortune if she bailed him out of jail so he's out. There is also the twist that Superman was called as a witness in his trial but didn't show because he was out of...um...planet I guess. The movie is good, the trailers on it are just as good, just make sure that you have time to see it. Tomorrow we leave for Texas so this will probably be my last post until then. Next week I've got a Bobby Flay interview, and still a post yet to come about the new gym. If we don't catch up again, I hope everyone has a good fourth of July!

4 Comments:

Sorry, we couldn't go with you guys last night...

Yeah, I agree- Batman Begins was surprisingly good for that genre. I'm not surprised that Superman didn't measure up to it.

Have fun on your trip.
posted by Blogger Rachel at 10:33 AM  
That is an interesting piece of trivia. I couldn't tell you if it was covered up or not. It was a good flick, and while I'll agree that Reeves may not ever be topped, I think Routh did a great job. I can't wait for the sequel.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 11:12 PM  
Saw this while in San Fran. thought it was pretty good. Lois Lane was pretty hot, but I saw some pictures of her in People on the way back and she looks like she's deathly ill. What is it with women needing to look deathly ill.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 9:57 AM  
With you their Chris. Not sure about that either. She could stand to gain a few pounds, but she looks good in the movie.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 3:56 PM