Monday, July 10, 2006

Movie Review - Pirates of the Caribbean

Seeing as I'm a huge movie dork I'm sure no one was shocked to hear I went to see this one on opening night. I'm not a big enough dork that I go at midnight in costume, but I have gone at midnight and made fun of people in costume. At any rate, I figured this was a movie that would be good to see opening night, with a bottle of rum. Rum is slowly replacing Tequila as my favorite liquor, and not just because of the movie. Mostly because we found a cool Pirate looking bottle of Captain Morgan's Private Stock, and it was good. Tastes good in coke or through a straw. Anyway, a movie with this kind of rum jokes is almost rum required. So, on my way home I grabbed a six pack of cokes, a six pack of Dr. Pepper (since we visited the Dr. Pepper museum in Waco, I've been on a Dr. Pepper kick) and a bottle of rum. The guy at the store was trying to convince me to buy Admiral Neptune or some off brand...but hell no...not today thank you kindly. This trip had to have the good stuff. No exceptions. So, I drank maybe a fourth of the four 20 oz Cokes and Dr. Peppers I had and filled them back up with rum, then threw them in the freezer. I made the wife carry a much larger purse with ice packs in it, but it was good stuff. Not sure why I thought that was so cool, but somehow smuggling rum in to a pirate movie made it more fun.

So, on to the movie review. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest picks up almost where the second movie left off. It's good, not very slow, action packed, and is of course a cliffhanger because they've already filmed the third one. The movie is somewhat predictable, but has a twist at the end I wasn't expecting. The crew is back, so you'll see the smokin hot Keira Knightley, Johnny Depp - who should have his name legally changed to Captain Jack Sparrow, and Orlando Bloom. The starts with Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan getting arrested on their wedding day, so Will sets out to find Captain Jack for his help and the movie goes from there. We find out that Jack is a cursed man and he plays everybody in the film to get rid of his curse. If it works or not, we don't know because we're waiting for the third movie Memorial Day Weekend 2007. That really pisses me off. They could release that movie at Christmas and the triology would be complete but they're making us wait a year. Also, while we're on the level of dumbass things to do, there is a live action Transformers movie coming out July 4, 2007 as well. I'm not making that up. Anyway, the movie was good, I recommend the rum and Dr. Pepper so you'll feel more like a pirate, but it's a good one to see in theaters.

Outside of that, I went skiing for the first time in five or six years and I hurt in places I wasn't aware I had muscles. And I'm sunburned. That kinda sucks, but maybe I'll tan and my arms won't be so white anymore. I hope everyone else enjoyed their weekend. The summer of movies is almost over so I guess it's time to catch up on the Netflix movies we have.

4 Comments:

Why is it that you men use us as some sort of pack horse to smuggle things? It'd be a first if M and I went to a movie without me having half of the gas station snack section shoved in my purse.
posted by Blogger Rachel at 1:12 PM  
We haven't seen Pirates yet, but a date has been planned for Friday night to see it. I'll let you know my thoughts. From what I've heard at work there's some spots that are just a bit over the top (water wheel scene?).

As for the pack horse...it's because most of the ladies have gigantic purses and it's easier to put it in there rather than shoving it down the front of our pants...or something like that!
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 8:14 AM  
When J was manager at the movie theater they'd find those little tiny liquor bottles on the floor all the time where people would sneak them in and buy a coke and make their own mixed drinks. I haven't had any alcohol in a long time, but rum is definitely my preference by far over tequila. After my trip to Mexico just the thought of straight tequila makes me want to barf...though I do love a good weak margarita.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 1:03 PM  
I can't imagine leaving a small liquor bottle behind, and I think for the size of cokes you get at theaters you'd need a couple of them. I pre-mix and get them good and cold.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 4:03 PM