Wednesday, April 02, 2008

En Guard!

Hello friends! Another totally exciting Wednesday update for you. I apologize for the lack of posts, but the only rants I have right now (save for Alex Trebek) are political and honestly I don't want to alienate everyone based on my political views. Mostly because at the end of the day it doesn't matter what my views are or who shares them with me. Just important to have your own opinion right?

Anyway, tonight my sister and I are taking on a new fitness challenge. We start fencing! How cool is it that one can still learn to sword fight? I found this place online back in December and my sister and I have been talking about learning to sword fight ever since. I've sent e-mails to the people that run the local club and haven't gotten a single response. We finally just decided to go by and see if they were still active. Their first question was "Oh. Did you guys find us on that Google?" Not the most computer savvy, but that's okay. I've been looking for something to do lately that's outside of Crossfit. Just something else to help with general fitness and obviously the weight loss so I can be better fit my next 3o years. I was starting to doubt that it was or was not a good workout until we had a preliminary lesson last week. After a couple of minutes we were both worn out so hopefully this will go better than the idea of Thai Boxing did. Hmm...just realized I might have never mentioned that on the blog.

Ever since I decided to add something in addition to my daily Crossfit routine, I thought that Thai boxing would just be awesome. I knew that adding something else would mean another monthly fee and the wife and I talked about how much we were willing to spend on sport. Without thinking about it, I went and checked out the Thai Boxing place and thought it was cool. Who doesn't want to learn how to fight right? Or more importantly know how to beat someone in to submission should the occasion arrive. These guys wanted $85 a month for a one night a week class. Ouch! I guess we could have afforded it if I REALLY wanted to do it, but realistically that's just too much money for me to spend every month. I'd rather join a boxing academy somewhere, or buy a pair of instructional DVD's on how to box. Or just watch the training montage from Rocky Balboa...because who doesn't find that motivational?

At any rate, send us happy thoughts as we both learn to sword fight. If we're lucky, mom will get us swords for Christmas.

4 Comments:

Good luck with the fencing, lol. Somehow I can't see you doing this.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 12:05 AM  
Chas is right man...fencing is pretty gay.

I learned how in 7th grade, and all the kids in that class were dorks.

I say you should go to that fancy karate dojo down the street from my place and learn to fight like a NINJA. Way cooler, and you could say you had way awesome ninja skills, and maybe carry a sword around on your back like Hiro.
/mike
posted by Anonymous Anonymous at 5:43 PM  
That sounds awesome...I took martial arts for like 10 years (probably not that long) when I was a kid and would love to get back into some sort of organized "sport", but it's a money thing. It seems every place I find wants your first born child as payment.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 12:12 PM  
Chas - I can't either, but it's fun. It will be way more fun when they give me two swords to fight with.

Mike - you know you think fencing is cool and one day you're going to go to the fencing place with me because you think it's that cool.

Chris - yeah, I wanted to take Thai boxing as I've been looking for some other sort of sport to engage in. They wanted $85 a month for a one day a week thai boxing class here in town and to me that's just too much. Fencing is actually less than my gym membership so that was acceptable I think.
posted by Blogger Raul Duke at 11:45 AM