Monday, July 26, 2004

Please Hold....

Oh, those words I hate to hear.  Nothing makes me want to hang up more than when a customer says "Please Hold."  Honestly, you've just called me - why the hell are you going to ask me to hold?  I called to order something the other day and the idiot on the phone kept putting me on hold.  I finally hung up, and when he called back he wanted to know how we got disconnected and I said "You kept putting me on hold, obviously you have something else you need to do."  I finally asked the guy that called today if he wanted to order, or if he was too busy.  He got offended and said "What do you mean?"  So I said "well, every time I ask you a question - I get put on hold.  Either you're under-prepared for this simple phone conversation or you're preoccupied."  I think he took it pretty well - all things considered.  Perhaps I should have been a little nicer than that, but it got the message across.  He didn't put me on hold again anyway.

The hold feature works different for call centers - that's what we do to put customers in their place.  Really, all we're doing is muting the phone and laughing at what you say.  However, it does let you know who is in charge right off.  I hope everyone's Monday is going well. 

3 Comments:

Or how about the retarded telemarketer that calls you at your house, interrupting your dinner to try and sell you some crap you don't need, but first asks to put you on hold as soon as you answer the phone? Riiiight. Sure. lol
posted by Blogger Good Wife at 5:39 PM  
You have an important telephone call: Please Hold.

Yeah right. I hang up faster than anything. People who answer call waiting? Yeah I hang up. They think they don't know how to use it. But I don't put up with that. Rude much?
posted by Blogger Jenn at 6:30 PM  
Ah, the hold button...I miss it. I used to put people on hold just to get a breather from the ranting. I'll never forget the day when the girl that sat next to me had an exceptional idot on the line...she put him on hold and said to me "You should hear this f'in retard" (tried to keep it clean, she didn't)....needless to say he wasn't really on hold, sometimes there are malfunctions...she hung up on him and hoped for the best.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 10:14 PM