Friday, August 06, 2004

Confidentiality - what a great thing.

So, I'm talking to someone today attempting to place an order. I think the issue was, the guy was just too stupid to place an order. We don't do COD's, and I can't think of too many companies that do. For good reason even. So I complete an order today for a guy and ask for his credit card. His response - "I don't want to give my credit card out over the phone. Do you have a place where I can e-mail it?" So I asked him - "You don't want to give a credit card over the phone, but you want to send it to me through your non-secured server so I can complete this order." Turns out, he saw something on 60 minutes or some goofy show that showed someone writing down a credit card number and using it for what seemed to be bad things. Very odd, and I wasn't sure how to respond. He eventually decided he would just send us a check, but mentioned he wouldn't put his return address on the label so it couldn't be traced. Then he said "well, I think I might just send cash." Sorry man, that cash won't likely make it here.

Not too longer after, I get this other lady. She wants to drive down here to pick something up. We are a good nine hour drive from her, and when she gets here we'll have to pay sales tax, which is about twice what shipping would be. After hearing this I just said "So, you're going to drive nine hours, spend countless dollars in gas, stay the night in a hotel, pay local sales tax, and then drive back so you don't have to pay shipping - do I have that right?" Basically, she was attempting to save some money, but was spending about three times the cost of shipping. She didn't seem to think this was a bad deal.

In both cases, these people didn't want to give sensitive credit card information over the phone. You're kidding right? Let's think about this seriously - if you want to pay with a credit card, am I supposed to read the number from your mind?

Well, it is just about time to watch qualifying. I'm going to chill some Miller Lite for the weekend in case Rusty Wins. Have a great weekend!

2 Comments:

Wow, you get some real gems on the phone...the joys of being in customer service.
posted by Blogger Chastity at 2:58 AM  
You and Greg. What is it with this Rusty/MIller Light fascination?
posted by Blogger Jenn at 8:40 PM